[News] Bulgarian Linux Distribution Awakens After a Year of Calm

  • Subject: [News] Bulgarian Linux Distribution Awakens After a Year of Calm
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 22:39:23 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Tilix:

http://www.tilix.org/

Back to address demand? Version 2.1 just been released.

How to install 145 operating systems on one PC

,----[ Quote ]
| He created 152 partitions on 4 hard drives to get his system up and running.
| And he probably has the longest GRUB menu you've ever seen. We're guessing
| the slowest part of the boot process on this system is the amount of time it
| takes to find the operating system you want to use.
`----

http://www.downloadsquad.com/2007/09/13/how-to-install-145-operating-systems-on-one-pc/

Using just one operating system everywhere and for all purposes is insane.
That's why governments have begun funding the development of their own Linux
distributions (simply derived from others, so there's no fragmentation or
duplication of effort).

Related:

What Do We Really Want From Linux?

,----[ Quote ]
| ...the vast majority of distributions are so specialized that this is not as
| bad an issue as it might seem. It usually boils down to something like Ubuntu
| vs. Red Hat.
|
| I do agree that there needs to be incarnations of Linux that are as
| comfortable as possible to use on the desktop -- something for Joe CD-ROM, as
| it were. But I don't believe the whole of Linux as we know it has to be
| remade to make that possible. Ubuntu has tackled the problem in a practical
| way, by building (and continuously improving) a desktop-friendly distribution
| that has drawn popular attention to Linux like little else before it.
`----

http://www.informationweek.com/blog/main/archives/2007/07/what_do_we_real.html

Why Having 500+ Distros is a Good Thing

,----[ Quote ]