Re: [News] British Government Lets Companies Own Public Data in Proprietary Software

> The trainwreck-waiting-to-happen that is UK government IT spending
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Think about that. Think about what this means: eight vendors have a
>| tremendous amount of leverage over the taxpayers of the United Kingdom.
>|
>| [...]
>|
>| The UK, in other words, is a captive of its IT vendors. That is shockingly
>| wrong.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9777862-16.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=TheOpenRoad

Well, we already knew this, but it's good to see that others are
beginning to recognise the scale of this appalling problem.

> And underneath there are some stories about fraud and corruption.
>
> Open standards 'more important' than open source
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Dr John Pugh MP, Liberal Democrat Shadow Spokesman for Health, told delegates
>| that there were good arguments for the use of open and closed source
>| software, but that there was "no defence against the use of open standards".
> `----

Unfortunately, people still think that there is a difference between the
two.  There isn't, it's just that open-source greatly reduces the
chances of lock-in, by reducing ambiguity.

> http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2198637/open-standards-more-important-source
>
> Of course, National Archives, the British Library, and MSBBC all choose
> proprietary formats and Windows-only technology. These are owned by
> former/part-time Microsoft executives who ship taxpayers' money overseas.

The position is absurd, and really does need to be stopped.  I think we
need a really good corruption clean-out to fix it, though.