[News] [Rival] [Rival] Negative Outlook for Microsoft Ahead of European Ruling

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] [Rival] Negative Outlook for Microsoft Ahead of European Ruling
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 10:22:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Rivals say Microsoft has not changed its ways

,----[ Quote ]
| Next week's European antitrust ruling against Microsoft Corp is a legacy of
| its past behavior, but competitors say the company's current strategy is a
| sign of history repeating itself.
|
| [...]
|
| He highlighted the growing ties between his company and old adversaries such
| as Novell Inc in business software and with Sun Microsystems, which this week
| said it planned to more fully embrace Windows to run its own computers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/rb/070914/microsoft_competitors.html?.v=3

Watch how they use Sun and Novell as an excuse. This was expected.

Extension of Microsoft Antitrust Pact Requested

,----[ Quote ]
| Before these parties and Microsoft respond, though, they will have a
| benchmark to guide them: The European Union will announce its Microsoft
| antitrust decision on Monday.
`----

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/09/11/AR2007091101991.html?hpid=sec-tech

Related:

Critics say company isn't documenting interaction methods fast enough

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. will deliver the final installment of hundreds of
| pounds of documentation of its products to U.S. regulators next
| month, a result of seemingly never-ending disputes over the
| company's business practices.
|
| That load will exceed the roughly 30,000 printed pages, or 130
| pounds of documentation, already prepared by Microsoft for
| European regulators.
|
| [...]
|
| Not buying it
|
| Microsoft's rivals argue the company is doing too little, too late.
| Vinje, of ECIS, said he doesn't believe Microsoft has faced the severe
| challenges the company alleges in documenting its protocols.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/microsoft-says-archaeology-changes-way/story.aspx?guid=%7BF16A9817%2DFCCF%2D46A7%2DBF1B%2D6B6F38154049%7D&siteid=yhoof
http://tinyurl.com/34klv3

A cathedral of formats or a castle of cards?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.libervis.com/blogs/5/charles/a_cathedral_of_formats_or_a_castle_of_cards

,----[ Quote ]
| [Microsoft:] "For example, we should take the lead in establishing a common
| approach to UI and to interoperability (of which OLE is only a part). Our
| efforts to date are focussed too much on our own apps, and only incidental-
| ly on the rest of the industry. We want to own these standards, so we sho-
| uld not participate in standards groups. Rather, we should call 'to me' to
| the industry and set a standard that works now and is for
| everyone's benefit. We are large enough that this can work."
`----

http://www.os2site.com/sw/info/comes/px09509.zip

Red Hat sets limits to Microsoft interoperability spiel

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.computing.co.uk/vnunet/news/2189545/red-hat-sets-limits-microsoft