[News] BSD vs Linux/GPL Developer Dispute Not Over Yet

  • Subject: [News] BSD vs Linux/GPL Developer Dispute Not Over Yet
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 14 Sep 2007 05:13:20 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Atheros Driver Developments

http://kerneltrap.org/OpenBSD/Atheros_Driver_Developments

Relicensing: what's legal and what's right

,----[ Quote ]
| In the end, distributing versions of the ath5k driver under GPLv2 (with the
| requisite copyright attributions maintained) is something which the Linux
| community is entitled to do. Anybody who does not like more restrictive
| conditions being applied to BSD-licensed code is well advised to avoid using
| the BSD license to begin with. But the legal ability to do something does not
| make that something the right course of action. Only the developers who have
| worked on the ath5k driver have the right to decide which license they will
| use, but it's worth saying that allowing the BSD community to make use of
| work done on the ath5k driver would be a friendly gesture and an
| acknowledgment of the value of the code we got from them. The benefits from
| such an act would likely outweigh any cost associated with allowing unwanted
| proprietary use of the code which has been added to this driver.
`----

http://lwn.net/Articles/247872/

GPL-BSD stoush: de Raadt hints at legal action

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14447/1091/

He seems to forget that BSD folks nicked some drivers from Linux as well...

Related:

Open Source coders caught stealing Open Source code