Re: [News] Microsoft Already Uses Novell and XenSource Hijacks to Exclude Other Distros from Market

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Microsoft’s virtualization hypervisor needs Red Hat support, too
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> |     With efforts such as the interoperability lab, Microsoft is
> |     reinforcing its promise that when its hypervisor actually ships —
> |     now slated for late 2008 — Novell’s SLES-based virtual machines will
> |     sing nicely on the Windows server platform.
> |
> |     That’s not all. On Sept 12, Microsoft and Sun also announced an
> |     expansion of their alliance in which the two companies will ensure
> |     that Sun’s Solaris VMs runs well on Windows and Windows runs well in
> |     a virtualized state on Solaris.

There has to be some two-way work for these things. But actually as Xen
based VM is much more likely to reach a point where any OS can sit as a VM,
already having good guest coverage, then MS may be digging themselves a pit
and finding they are few people willing to sit in there with them.

If you go to the trouble of ensuring your OS is VM complient, then you want
it to be able to sit on as many platforms as possible without the need for
extra work or multiple products. For that Xen based systems are much more
likely to be the target.

I know it is a long way off before I get your socks, but still, I bet you
both socks that in time MS will be forced to eat humble pie and make what
ever OS they are up to at the time VM complient.

VM will not go away, we will all be sitting on VM'ed OS's (partial or full)
eventually. MS have to play the game or they will lose out.