[News] Review of a Linux-based 'OLPC Killer', Which Runs Microsoft-Xandrosoft

  • Subject: [News] Review of a Linux-based 'OLPC Killer', Which Runs Microsoft-Xandrosoft
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Sep 2007 04:33:46 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Unicap and UCView on the Asus EeePC

,----[ Quote ]
| The Xandros Linux operating system which comes with the EeePC is customized
| to accomodate the specific constrains of the machine - most notably the small
| size of the permanent storage.
`----

http://unicap-imaging.org/unicap_eeepc.htm

It has the Xandros 'bug'.

The anti-OLPC guys (very vocal about it) have actually decided to give Linux as
an option...

"All NComputing L-series and X-series solutions support both Windows and Linux
operating systems, with solutions as low as $70 per seat."

http://www.tmcnet.com/usubmit/-ncomputing-advances-virtual-desktop-computing-with-new-zero-/2007/09/12/2930874.htm

Related:

GPL3 author calls for open source solidarity

,----[ Quote ]
| But Moglen told vnunet.com in a video interview that some in the
| community will be tempted to make a "private peace with the invader".
|
| "Divide-and-conquer strategies are built around the weakness that
| it is in the interest of some people to make a private deal for
| safety and abandon communal defence," Moglen said.
`----

http://www.vnunet.com/vnunet/news/2191347/gpl3-author-calls-open-source

Microsoft's Protection Racket?

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft should have admitted that Linux matters sooner. For years,
| the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant seemed to be in denial as
| the open-source operating software made gains against its Windows
| franchise.
`----

http://www.forbes.com/2007/06/04/linux-software-microsoft-tech-cx_bc_0604linux.html?partner=yahootix
http://tinyurl.com/2rksjz

Xandros layoffs? Just staffing 'adjustments'

,----[ Quote ]
| "About three weeks ago I started to see strange faces pop up in
| the conference room, and they turned out to be investors. Then
| one weekend, someone had cleaned out a [seldom-used] room and
| given it to an investor as an office. A week later we were canned."

What does it mean for Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| They get a new protocol licensee which I'm sure they'll be pleased to
| trumpet to the EU.
|
| They get a renewed messaging platform for their  continued
| infatuation with customers and patents instead of customers and
| solutions. It's a broken platform which shows no leadership, but that
| apparently won't stop them from pushing it.
|
| They get to continue the messaging shades of grey around Microsoft
| Office Open XML and ODF. "Xandros and Microsoft share the view that
| competing office productivity applications should, by design,
| make it easy for customers to exchange files with one another."
| Microsoft sees its death in ODF. They will fight like a cornered
| rat and message appropriately.
`----

http://stephesblog.blogs.com/my_weblog/2007/06/the_latest_micr.html

Xandros Linux signs up for Microsoft patent protection

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.itnews.com.au/newsstory.aspx?CIaNID=53516&src=site-marq