Re: [News] QNX Software Systems Leans Towards Open Source for Its Operating System

____/ Jerry McBride on Wednesday 12 September 2007 22:28 : \____

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> QNX Opts for Open Source (Sort of)
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | QNX Software Systems is going open source -- sort of. More specifically,
>> | QNX is opening access to the source code of its QNX Neutrino real-time
>> | operating system (OS) under a new hybrid software licensing arrangement.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.ddj.com/linux-open-source/201805595
>>

> WOW! Really good news. I can ONLY HOPE they use the gpl 3.0 or gpl 2.0
> license. I really, really loved working with QNX, but the closed license
> model sucked.

I saw some more articles later and it seems like they opened up development to
the public, but it's not a full open source transition yet. Other companies
are just clinging on to their proprietary roots before they realise that they
have to open up fully in order to compete. Consider Sun's CDDL/GPL or even
RISC OS (Shared Source/GPL).

If they choose the GPL, then code can be mixed and matched to make some very
powerful systems.

Roy S. Schestowitz      | Wintendo O/S gets malware on its tail