[News] Monopoly Abuse By WIntel, Big Media, and Microsoft Becomes an International Problem

  • Subject: [News] Monopoly Abuse By WIntel, Big Media, and Microsoft Becomes an International Problem
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:20:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
AMD CEO talks tough about Intel's tactics

,----[ Quote ]
| European regulators said in July that Intel gave computer makers improper
| payments to ensure that they would not use AMD chips, and that Intel
| selectively slashed prices to keep AMD from winning contracts.
`----

http://blogs.business2.com/utilitybelt/2007/09/amd-ceo-talks-t.html

Intel's Craig Barrett sounds off on American policy

,----[ Quote ]
| Barrett's answers are revealing in more ways than one. A staunch Republican
| and personal friend of George W, that he backs the current administration's
| policy is perhaps unsurprising. What is interesting is his distancing of
| technology - and Intel - from its perception as a giant of the American, and
| Capitalist, West. "I do not have any issue with any anti-Americanism,"
| Barrett opines. "I think people look at technology as a requirement for the
| future and they don’t see technology as being American per se. They see
| technology as being necessary."

Then, Big Media goes crazy as well, intercepting exchange of information (never
mind its nature) blindly.

The Pirate Bay Won’t Bow Down to “Weak” US Government

,----[ Quote ]
| US authorities, The MPAA and other antipirates are desperately trying to come
| up with new arguments to cease The Pirate Bay’s activities, but the popular
| BitTorrent tracker is not planning to back down. Pirate Bay admin Brokep
| notes: “The US government is losing popularity every day in Europe, and
| people don’t want to see us give in to them.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/the-pirate-bay-wont-bow-down-to-weak-us-government-070907/

DivX sues Universal over DMCA takedowns, Universal says: stop ripping us

,----[ Quote ]
| According to DivX, Universal has been not interested in supplying actual DMCA
| takedown notices and instead "has chosen to posture and threaten DivX in the
| hopes of extracting an unwarranted windfall."
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070909-divx-preemptively-files-lawsuit-against-universal-update.html
http://tinyurl.com/yojuqa

Related:

Korean antitrust probe of Intel ends, penalties to be decided soon

,----[ Quote ]
| Although neither Intel nor the KFTC provided details on the findings, sources
| told the Korea Times said that the antitrust regulators did plan to impose
| penalties on the chipmaker. "The FTC gained some evidence backing up
| suspicions that Intel has offered discounts to computer makers in exchange
| for sealing exclusive deals, and coerced dealers not to buy products from
| rivals such as Advanced Micro Devices (AMD)," said one source.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070911-intel-could-face-sanctions-as-a-result-of-korean-antitrust-probe.html

Intel: South Korean Antitrust Probe Over

,----[ Quote ]
| South Korean media have reported the inquiry has centered on allegations
| Intel abused its market dominance by pressuring computer makers to avoid
| using chips made by Intel's rivals.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070911/skorea_intel.html?.v=2

Intel to Reply Soon to Antitrust Queries

,----[ Quote ]
| It is not common for the Federal Trade Commission, which issued a second
| request for information to Intel last week, to ask for more information on
| such mergers.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070905/as_tec_india_intel_stmicroelectronics.html?.v=1

US antitrust group urges Intel investigation

,----[ Quote ]
| The American Antitrust Institute (AAI), a Washington DC lobby group, has
| written an open letter to the Federal Trade Commission urging an
| investigation of Intel's allegedly monopolistic business practices.
|
| [...]
|
| AAI say its insistence of an investigation is based on allegations by AMD in
| a private case and information obtained by the EC's complaint, which have not
| been made public
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/30/aai_wants_intel_probe_expansion/

Intel urged to give more data on flash unit deal

,----[ Quote ]
| ...U.S. Federal Trade Commission has requested additional information on the
| company's deal with STMicroelectronics...
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKWNAS317820070830?rpc=44

The Fight for Fair and Open Competition

,----[ Quote ]
| AMD is an undisputed technology and innovation leader.
|
| However, Intel's abusive, illegal monopolistic behavior is preventing
| businesses and consumers alike from choosing freely between AMD and Intel
| products.
`----

http://breakfree.amd.com/en-us/antitrust.aspx

EC says Intel influenced bids for computer projects

,----[ Quote ]
| The third type of allegation, however, was new, and sounded like a variety of
| predatory pricing. “In the context of bids against AMD-based products for
| strategic customers in the server segment of the market,” the commission
| press release said, “Intel has offered CPUs on average below cost.”
`----

http://legalpad.blogs.fortune.com/2007/08/03/ec-says-intel-influenced-bids-for-computer-projects/

Negroponte says Intel should be "ashamed of itself"

,----[ Quote ]
| He is furious that Intel's CEO Craig Barrett called the One Laptop a
| gadget. The Negroponte initiative is caught in the middle of a vicious
| fight between AMD and Intel, he said.

AMD chief condemns Intel 'abuses'

,----[ Quote ]
| In 2005, after the Japan Fair Trade Commission found Intel guilty of
| offering illegal rebates to Japanese PC makers, AMD filed an anti-trust
| suit against its competitor in the U.S. District Court in Delaware. The
| case has not been decided.
`----

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/06/21/amd_ceo_condemns_intel_abuses/

AMD: Intel Destroyed Evidence in Antitrust Case

,----[ Quote ]
| In an unpublished statement to the U.S. District Court of Delaware,
| AMD alleges Intel allowed the destruction of evidence in pending
| antitrust litigation.

Video: Henri Richard comes out swinging at Intel during AMD press conference

,----[ Quote ]
| [AMD's Henri Richard:] "I am sick and tired of being pushed around
| by a competitor that doesn't respect the rules of fair and open
| competition."
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/Berlind/?p=363

Investors sue Dell on payments from Intel: WSJ

,----[ Quote ]
| An investor lawsuit seeking class-action status accuses Dell Inc. of
| improper accounting in its relationship with chip giant Intel,
| according to a media report published Thursday evening.
|
| [...]
|
| The suit alleges that Dell received at times as much as $1 billion
| a year in "secret and likely illegal" kickbacks in the form of
| "e-Cap" or "exception to corporate average pricing" payments"
| from Intel to ensure that Dell used no other chip supplier,
| according to The Journal.
`----

http://www.marketwatch.com/news/story/investors-sue-dell-payments-intel/story.aspx?guid=%7B400315B0%2DE375%2D4920%2DB300%2D784220BEFE35%7D&siteid=yhoo&dist=yhoo

Lenovo got financial help from Intel, claim

,----[ Quote ]
| Journalists on the title said Lenovo is being paid a "pretty
| penny" from Intel to use its chips.

| In 2005, a unit of Shenzhen Donjin countersued, saying Intel engaged
| in monopolistic practices.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070514/china_intel_settlement.html?.v=7

Intel's anti-trust memos started vanishing from the top

,----[ Quote ]
| Chairman Craig Barrett, CEO Paul Otellini and sales chief Sean Maloney
| have appeared on a list of Intel employees thought to have deleted
| e-mails possibly relevant to AMD's anti-trust lawsuit against its
| larger rival. The missing e-mails have thrust a livid state of mind
| onto AMD's lawyers who have very serious problems with Intel's
| rather lax document retention policy.
|
| [...]
|
| CEO Otellini appears to have been one of these troublesome employees.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/11/intel_tortellini_episode/

TorrentSpy shuts doors to America

,----[ Quote ]
| But he eventually admitted that the MPAA case was a "catalyst" in the
| decision.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/28/torrentspy_shuts_doors_to_america/

Anime Distributor Has No Legal Right to Threaten BitTorrent Users

,----[ Quote ]
| A company that tracked thousands of users sharing anime via BitTorrent has
| lost its legal battle to force an ISP to reveal its customer’s details.
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/anime-distributor-has-no-legal-right-to-threaten-bittorrent-users/

Comcast Throttles BitTorrent Traffic, Seeding Impossible

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past weeks more and more Comcast users started to notice that their
| BitTorrent transfers were cut off. Most users report a significant decrease
| in download speeds, and even worse, they are unable to seed their downloads.
| A nightmare for people who want to keep up a positive ratio at private
| trackers and for the speed of BitTorrent transfers in general.
|
| [...]
|
| Last year we had a discussion whether traffic shaping is good or bad, and
| ISPs made it pretty clear that they do not like P2P applications like
| BitTorrent. One of the ISPs that joined our discussions said: “The fact is,
| P2P is (from my point of view) a plague - a cancer, that will consume all the
| bandwidth that I can provide. It’s an insatiable appetite.”, and another one
| stated: “P2P applications can cripple a network, they’re like leaches. Just
| because you pay 49.99 for a 1.5-3.0mbps connection doesn’t mean your entitled
| to use whatever protocols you wish on your ISP’s network without them
| provisioning it to make the network experience good for all users involved.”
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/comcast-throttles-bittorrent-traffic-seeding-impossible/

Torrentspy Disables Searching For US IPs

| Torrent indexing site Torrentspy.com appears to have disabled torrent
| searches for IPs that originate in the United States.
`----

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/27/1541244&from=rss

Comcast Cuts Off Heavy Internet Users

,----[ Quote ]
| Customers complain bandwidth limits are secret.
`----

http://consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/08/comcast_ban.html?imw=Y

BitTorrent Admin Monitored by US Government, Forced to Dump Linux

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://torrentfreak.com/bittorrent-admin-monitored-by-us-government-forced-to-dump-linux/

,----[ Quote ]