[News] [Rival] Software Patents Are Evil and Microsoft Still Patents the Evil

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Software Patents Are Evil and Microsoft Still Patents the Evil
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 15:05:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft's Consent-or-Die Patent

,----[ Quote ]
| On Tuesday, the USPTO granted Microsoft a patent for privacy policy change
| notification, which describes how to threaten users with the loss of their
| accounts and access to web sites and services should they refuse to consent
| to changes in a privacy policy.
`----

http://yro.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/09/11/1228241&from=rss

Mentioned yesterday:

Microsoft patents watermark technology that may lock down DRM-free music

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has won a patent for a digital-watermarking technology that is
| inaudibly embedded in the audio signal and cannot be removed
`----

http://www.infoworld.com/article/07/09/11/Microsoft-patents-watermark-that-may-protect-DRM-free-music_1.html?source=rss&url=www.infoworld.com%2Farticle%2F07%2F09%2F11%2FMicrosoft-patents-watermark-that-may-protect-DRM-free-music_1.html

Microsoft patents new digital rights management protection

http://www.networkworld.com/community/node/19280

Also today:

NTP Brings More Suits

,----[ Quote ]
| NTP Inc. sued Verizon Wireless, AT&T Inc. and Sprint Nextel Corp. for
| infringing on its patents related to mobile email services, a follow-up to
| its high-profile litigation with BlackBerry-maker Research In Motion Ltd. -
| Amol Sharma, WSJ.com
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB118953894926724093.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

Related:

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.'

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html