[News] Latest Linux Improvements Discussed and Completed

  • Subject: [News] Latest Linux Improvements Discussed and Completed
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 14:59:08 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Grouping Pages By Mobility

,----[ Quote ]
| "The objective of this patchset is to keep the system in a state where
| actions such as page reclaim or memory compaction will reduce external
| fragmentation in the system," Mel Gorman described his set of thirteen
| patches labeled "reduce external fragmentation by grouping pages by mobility
| v30".
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Grouping_Pages_By_Mobility

Preemptible RCU

,----[ Quote ]
| Ingo Molnar responded very favorably to the patch, "cool! Now after 2 years
| of development and testing I think this is one of the most mature patchsets
| on lkml - so i'd like to see this designated for potential upstream
| inclusion. I.e. everyone who can see some bug, please holler now."
`----

http://kerneltrap.org/Linux/Preemptible_RCU

Related:

Linux 2.6.23-rc6

,----[ Quote ]
| So last week was a bust, with a lot of core people away for the kernel
| summit, and with -rc5 having two rather nasty (and silly) one-liner
| problems that bit a number of people - a missing NULL pointer check in
| TCP, and a missing list terminator in ata_piix.
`----

http://lkml.org/lkml/2007/9/10/346

Linux 2.6.22.6 Released

,----[ Quote ]
| We (the -stable team) are announcing the release of the 2.6.22.6 kernel.
| It contains a number of bugfixes and all users of the 2.6.22 series are
| encouraged to upgrade to it.
`----

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.kernel/575750

Is There Perfection in The Linux Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| In a perfect world, you could compile a brand-new Linux kernel
| without the need for much configuration and without error.
|
| According to Linus Torvalds, the new 2.6.19 Linux kernel is such
| an entity.
|
| "It's one of those rare "perfect" kernels," Torvalds wrote in a
| Linux kernel mailing list posting announcing the new kernel.
`----

http://www.internetnews.com/article.php/3646456

Kernel Comparison for Linux (2.6.18) verses Windows (2003 R2)

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://widefox.pbwiki.com/Kernel%20Comparison%20Linux%20vs%20Windows