[News] Australia Talks on OOXML "Abstain" Decision, IBM Fuels ODF Support

  • Subject: [News] Australia Talks on OOXML "Abstain" Decision, IBM Fuels ODF Support
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Sep 2007 09:01:17 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Standards Australia defends its decision to abstain from OOXML vote

,----[ Quote ]
| Standards Australia has defended it's decision to abstain from the ISO
| (International Organisation for Standardization) and IEC (International
| Electrotechnical Commission) ballot to approve Microsoft's Office Open XML
| format as an international standard, saying Australia still has a chance to
| approve or disapprove the vote.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1462384209&rid=-50

They contacted the wrong person. Of course the head will say that everything
went alright. They need to ask those who needn't defend a broken system. They
deceived on IBM's (non-existent) affiliation with CompTIA, a Microsoft
lobbyist.

IBM piles on Microsoft's open document defeat

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM's move to throw its weight behind the ODF-based OpenOffice.org is proof
| that rivals see a chink in the Microsoft Office armor just as many
| organizations, particularly governments, are evaluating open document
| formats.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=193266988&rid=-50

Related:

OSIA takes issue with OOXML, lobbies Standards Australia

,----[ Quote ]
| Opposition to the endorsement of the program comes on top of the suspected
| stacking by Microsoft of a variety of standards bodies in order to get OOXML
| approved as the ISO standard. "This was not part of OSIA's submission and is
| not anything OSIA has direct knowledge of", said Scott. "However, there are a
| number of people who assert that Microsoft is doing as you suggest", he said.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=562760212&rid=-50

Report from Australia - the OOXML Forum

,----[ Quote ]