Re: Microsoft, Novell Win Key Linux Customers

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> ____/ John Bailo, Texeme.Construct on Tuesday 11 September 2007 19:24 :
> \____
>

>> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201805463
>>
>> <quote>
>> Add Siemens and BMW to the list of major corporations that have agreed
>> to buy Novell(NOVL)'s Linux software and services through
>> Microsoft(MSFT).
>>
>> Under a deal disclosed late Monday, the German manufacturers will
>> purchase from Microsoft certificates that entitle them to three years
>> of service and support for SUSE Enterprise Linux from Novell.
>> Financial terms were not disclosed.
>>
>> Both BMW and Siemens said they plan to run a combination of Linux and
>> Microsoft Windows in their data centers. "Interoperability remains one
>> of the top challenges for our customers," said Susan Heystee, Novell's
>> VP and general manager for strategic alliances, in a statement.
>> </quote>
>
> The 3-year-old Novell reaches for Microsoft hand, spits out the pacifier,
> and asks, "can we please have some customer? Is that OK?"

The 3-year deal is a standard licence period for SLES. You save a lot of
money paying for three years instead of one at a time. My SLES's are all on
3-year licence.

They are very good servers, out of the box of the last one I set up there
wasn't any extra drivers needed. Usually I expect to have to put in the
likes of updated SCSI and DAT drivers from the HP site, but even those are
up to date on SLES now.

Honestly, I wish I could say something against SLES to pacify the
anti-Novell people, but I can't. There is absolutely nothing on the SLES
that I can say is wrong or bad or faulty. As a server OS it is faultless.
Even extra little niceties that they didn't have to include, will never
appear on any advertising, but they included them because they know what IT
people want or need, such as a pre build file for creating the
mirrors/cluster from your install, just a simple thing really, but can save
you a lot of work.