[News] Why "Money, Money, Money" is the Wrong Approach to Good Development and Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Why "Money, Money, Money" is the Wrong Approach to Good Development and Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2007 14:50:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Open Source vs. Money

,----[ Quote ]
| In today's economy, most people are focused purely on making money. The
| reason behind making has been, for the most part, lost on most fronts. When
| asked what the top goal for their life was, many people claimed it was to get
| rich. People are encouraged to go to college purely so that they can get a
| good job that pays them a lot of money, they are told that in order to do
| anything they want, they need money, they are told to follow the money first,
| and then form goals based on the amount of money they obtain. This is
| counter-intuitive to everything one can find when one looks at the major
| innovations, inventions, and general success throughout history.
`----

http://www.progressiveu.org/175405-open-source-vs-money

Open Source Macro vs. Micro

,----[ Quote ]
| Making statements about their pet issues wouldn't hurt either - the OOXML
| debacle presents a great opportunity, as does the recent controversy over
| what Open Source means. Opining on the tactics of the RIAA and MPAA might
| help, as well. Of course, these are only suggestions for a certain audience -
| the ones with laptop stickers that say "corporate websites suck".
|
| [...]
|
| As has often been noted, it's not enough to open your code and throw it over
| the wall. I would add that it's also not good enough to woo the audience with
| just technology - there has to be some force of personality and a willingness
| to participate in some cultural issues.
`----

http://tinosc.blogspot.com/2007/09/open-source-macro-vs-micro.html

Chris Debenham On Lyricue: Technology Should Support, Not Control, Worship
Services

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/chris_debenham_lyricue_technology_should_support_not_control_worship_services