Re: [News] OpenOffice Gets Lotus 'Implants', Outlook-like Capabilities

> IBM Adds Lotus Notes Code To OpenOffice Project
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| The stakes are high as an increasing number of government and enterprise
>| software buyers are insisting that the applications they purchase conform to
>| internationally recognized standards.
> `----
>
> http://www.informationweek.com/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleID=201805296&cid=nl_IWK_daily
>
> IBM to give OpenOffice the Outlook e-mail killer it needs?
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| Has the Outlook killer for OpenOffice finally arrived?
>|
>| OpenOffice is the most promising open source alternative to Microsoft Office
>| that runs on most Linux distributions, Windows, Macintosh and BSD but to date
>| it has lacked an integrated e-mail service such as the Outlook client that is
>| integrated in Microsoft Office.
> `----
>
> http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1401

There's no doubt that we need a good, open,
diarying/calendaring/synchronisation capability in the open-source
world.  There are a great many projects, but they like an overarching
coherence.  Perhaps the Linux Foundation can provide such a top-level
view, integrating the various projects in between, in a similar way to
that which KDE and Gnome have managed for the desktop itself.