Re: NZ spies uncover cyber attacks

impossible wrote:
"peterwn" <peterwn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message news:1189453402.897092.212190@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
See:
http://www.stuff.co.nz/4197227a10.html

New Zealand's Security Intelligence (NZ's CIA equivalent) has
uncovered cyber attacks on Government computers by foreign powers.

If there is any reason to ditch un-auditable closed soft software and
adopt instead transparent open source software (with Government
written special 'proprietary' tweaksif need be especially for maximum
security applications), this is it.

This pushes almost into insignificance 'total cost of ownership' and
other arguments favouring continuance with a certain prominent
proprietary software product line.

The article says nothing about what software was compromised.

Agreed

Do you have inside knowledge?

No. In particular I would not have any idea what software SIS, GCSB and MFAT (NZ's key security and foreign affairs agencies), but IMO if they had any sense they would use hardened Linux based systems for sensitive applications. Of course there would be a 'neither confirm nor deny' policy on this and quite rightly so.

Or are you just sowing the seeds of FUD again?

In the second two paragraphs, I have merely made a general observation about software choice. It is a case here of 'if the hat fits then wear it'.

If you think I am sowing the seeds of FUD then so be it.

In any case as a patriotic Kiwi who values national sovereignty, I consider it quite wrong for 'national interest' IT to be in the thralls of a company based in a foreign power with which New Zealanders have rather ambivalent feelings.