[News] More Public Schools Are Moving to GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] More Public Schools Are Moving to GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 30 Sep 2007 16:24:05 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
'Open Source' software goes to SouthCot

,----[ Quote ]
| “We felt the need to organize this kind of activity to prop up the interest
| of young students, like us, about FOSS, Linux and other open systems,” said
| Muyco, a junior student of KNCHS.
| Fernando Hilomen, KNCHS principal, said they will present the integration of
| Linux systems and FOSS in the school's computer education curriculum as well
| as recognize the achievements of the students under the program.
| [...]
| The KNCHS ICT Education Program formally adopted FOSS in 2006 following the
| installation of a Linux computer laboratory granted by the DTI's PC for
| Public Schools Phase 3 (PCPS). The DTI has installed at least 14 Linux
| computer laboratories in this city and various parts of South Cotabato under
| the PCPS-3. (Allen V. Estabillo / MindaNews)

'Open Minds' want Linux and open source in American schools

,----[ Quote ]
| Many other countries are turning to Linux and open-source for their
| school-house computer needs, and now there's a conference for those who want
| to bring it to schools in the U.S.

Open source booming in K-12 education

,----[ Quote ]
| An eSchools report (right) says open source spending is growing 70% per year,
| and will be up 800% in 2011 from last year’s level.

Report (beef) here:

All Macedonian students to use Linux desktops

,----[ Quote ]
| NComputing announced this week that its multi-user virtual desktop software
| and low-cost virtual PC terminals will be used to equip every school child in
| the Republic of Macedonia, formerly part of Yugoslavia, with a Linux desktop.

Russian Linux (ALTLinux) to be installed in every school in Russia

,----[ Quote ]
| Russian OS is to be installed on every school computer in Russia by 2009.
| Furthermore, every pupil will get the opportunity to operate the applied
| software produced in Russia, Leonid Reiman, acting Minister of Communication
| stated at a press conference. According to Mr. Reiman, that might
| significantly reduce Russian dependence on foreign software.

U.S. schools may join inexpensive laptop project

,----[ Quote ]