[News] Research: Open Source Delivers Better Security

  • Subject: [News] Research: Open Source Delivers Better Security
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2007 14:41:30 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Mentioned earlier in a different context:

Open-source Technology Ensures Security: IDC

This study is going to attract a lot of attention next week.

Skeletons in Microsoft’s Patch Day closet

,----[ Quote ]
| This is the first time I’ve seen Microsoft prominently admit to silently
| fixing vulnerabilities in its bulletins — a controversial practice that
| effectively reduces the number of publicly documented bug fixes (for those
| keeping count) and affects patch management/deployment decisions.

Beware of undisclosed Microsoft patches

,----[ Quote ]
| Forget for a moment whether Microsoft is throwing off patch counts
| that Microsoft brass use to compare its security record with those
| of its competitors. What do you think of Redmond’s silent patching
| practice?

Microsoft is Counting Bugs Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Sorry, but Microsoft's self-evaluating security counting isn't really a
| good accounting.
| [...]
| The point: Don't count on security flaw counting. The real flaw is
| the counting.

How secure are Linux, Window and Mac OS?

2006 Operating System Vulnerability Summary

Linux vs. Windows: Which is Most Secure?

Linux Security: A Big Edge Over Windows

The problems with Vista laid bare - What might have been

Why Windows is less secure than Linux

Linux more secure than Windows, national survey shows

Microsoft Windows: Insecure by Design

If Only We Knew Then What We Know Now About Windows XP

Why Windows is a security nightmare.

Windows Fiji: Now second half of 2008?

Microsoft admits Vista screwed - report

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista SP1 is code named "Fiji", presumably after a pretty looking
| island which is paralysed by coups.
| In a statement regarding the service pack Microsoft admits that
| Vista has "high impact" problems.

Microsoft cuts Windows virtualization features

,----[ Quote ]
| "Right now, Microsoft has nowhere to run, and nowhere to hide. After all
| the hype surrounding Vista, the Emperor has finally been revealed in all
| his naked glory. Some folks have been predicting the demise of Microsoft. I
| wouldn't go that far, but I am wondering how we?re ever going to take
| Microsoft seriously again?"

A history of Microsoft Windows - the inside story exposed

,----[ Quote ]
| 2004: (...)
| THE MANAGEMENT: "What do you mean it still doesn't work? Try
| harder!"
| 2005: (...)
| "MAKE IT WORK! FOR GOD'S SAKE, MAKE IT WORK! Well, throw it away
| and use the server version then, that seems all right. Look, they
| won't know the difference, drop the database stuff, nobody remembers
| what we said in 1995 now! That was ten years ago! "Apple has what?
| 3D acceleration? So, we have DirectX. What, in the desktop? Really?
| What, even Stallman's beardie-weirdies have it? Oh hell. Right, you
| lot, make it look like this!"

MS Insider: The Office Crew Isn't Smart Enough to Supplant Real Windows