Re: FYI: Microsoft extends Windows XP's stay

On Fri, 28 Sep 2007 18:01:27 -0400, jim wrote:

> What would really help Microsoft's image would be just a little
> honesty here.  If they actually had the character to be honest with
> people and just say "we're sorry about Vista, we know we missed the
> mark big time with this release" and maybe offer a free upgrade to
> their next OS or a refund even.

I suppose there is a first for everything but Microsoft ever being
honest stretches it a bit.

> Speaking of honesty and next Windows releases, I wonder wy Microsoft
> hasn't caught on to the seemingly hugely popular trend of releasing
> stable cores with add-ons like Firefox did pre-release 3.0 and
> Maxthon does and Linux distros commpnly do and a whole host of other
> wildly popular software releases?

Several reasons why they won't / can't in my opinion:

1. Windows appears to be a convoluted mess of inter-dependencies.
   Nothing but a total redesign would help.

2. It would be too easy for users to take third party superior
   add-ons.

3. Microsoft don't give a toss about their users as long as they
   are locked in.

4. I'm sure they are more than a little happy about their proven
   monopoly abuse as the remedies to date are so ineffectual. Guess
   who will end up paying for the EU fine? Does anyone buy the XP
   version without the media player?

Vista is clearly an embarrassment to Microsoft and the recently
exposed Excel 2007 bug is probably the death knell for that version.

Microsoft don't know how to compete. Years of having an illegally
maintained monopoly has seen to that. Apple and Linux distro's offer a
viable alternative for most people these days. They may succeed where
the regulators have failed in breaking the monopoly.