[News] Dell Makes Linux Ready for the Parents, But Dell Not Serious Enough

  • Subject: [News] Dell Makes Linux Ready for the Parents, But Dell Not Serious Enough
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 10:38:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
5 Reasons your parents should use Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| # Dell
|
| You no longer can use the excuse that when you install Linux on your parents
| computer, it doesn’t work “out of the box”. With the semi-recent Dell and
| Canonical partnership you now have an option of buying a computer or laptop
| that comes pre-installed with Ubuntu Linux.
`----

http://www.foogazi.com/2007/09/27/5-reasons-your-parents-should-use-linux/

Selling Linux: what Dell could do

,----[ Quote ]
| Recently I've been devoting some space to a discussion of Dell's efforts to
| sell Linux on certain PCs and laptops among its range of models. There's also
| been discussion of why this effort appears to be somewhat half-hearted.
`----

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/14657/1090/

Related:

Is it time to exit from Windows?

,----[ Quote ]
| The offer of pre-installed Linux by mainstream PC makers doesn't mean the
| open-source operating system is poised to sweep aside Microsoft’s; but while
| its cost advantages may never be compelling, finance departments must prepare
| to consider the merits of switching their own operations to Linux – and to
| hear a stronger case for its company-wide adoption.
|
| [...]
|
| According to Dell, up to 30,000 buyers have already asked for pre-installed
| Linux.
`----

http://www.accountingweb.co.uk/cgi-bin/item.cgi?id=171829&d=1032&h=1020&f=1026

Dell to stuff hypervisors in flash memory

,----[ Quote ]
| Dell CTO Kevin Kettler today confirmed these plans during a speech here at
| LinuxWorld, saying the company expects to see major performance and
| power-saving improvements by dumping a hypervisor in flash. Customers will
| basically "boot to a virtual machine-ready" state, he said.
`----

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/08/07/dell_hypervisor_flash/

The Year of Virtualization

,----[ Quote ]