[News] [Rival] Microsoft Creates Political Storms to Get its Way

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Creates Political Storms to Get its Way
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2007 09:52:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Europe and U.S. try to calm storm over Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| Majoras had a hand in fashioning the U.S. remedies against Microsoft in 2001
| after the company was found to have violated U.S. antitrust law. The U.S.
| remedies requiring limited licensing of some Microsoft connection
| information--far less than the Europeans--won approval from U.S. courts. But
| some states have criticized the U.S. sanctions as ineffective.
|
| Majoras said Europeans and Americans need to aim for "cooperation and
| enhanced discussion" about their antitrust treatment of individual company
| behavior.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-6210508.html

Microsoft to senators: Google-DoubleClick deal is bad for America

,----[ Quote ]
| The hearing is about to start and can be watched via Webcast. Anne is there
| and will be writing about the hearing later Thursday.
`----

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-9786446-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

On Capitol Hill, Google and Microsoft spar over DoubleClick

http://www.news.com/On-Capitol-Hill%2C-Google-and-Microsoft-spar-over-DoubleClick/2100-1030_3-6210513.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news
http://tinyurl.com/32ynqa

Microsoft the Antitrust Crusader

,----[ Quote ]
| It is hard to figure out who to take with a bigger grain of salt: Microsoft
| and AT&T, or the politicians the companies testified in front of today.
`----

http://blogs.wsj.com/deals/2007/09/27/microsoft-the-antitrust-crusader/?mod=yahoo_hs

The fine print: Brookings study on Google-DoubleClick deal funded by Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
| I missed the fine print when I first checked out the 51-page AEI-Brookings
| Joint Center for Regulatory Studies paper on the Google-DoubleClick deal:
| This is yet another piece of research funded by Microsoft (and, in this case,
| AT&T).
|
| [...]
|
| Microsoft ended up spending its $6 billion DoubleClick allowance on
| aQuantive. If Google isn’t allowed to buy DoubleClick because of antitrust
| concerns, it will be interesting to see who, if anyone, snaps up the company.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=755

AT&T -- king of censorship, eavesdropping
Microsoft -- worst privacy fiend (desktop spying)

"Research funded by..."

And /these/ are the ones protesting against Microsoft? And after Microsoft had
acquired aQuantine for double that price? What type of hypocrisy is /that/?

Sadly, Google is drawn into the same s* that ruins democracy ("but they started
it!" excuse):

Google's PR Scam

,----[ Quote ]
| Google's PR Scam Buttering up EU regulators, not runaway hiring, is at the
| heart of the search giant's recent statement that it will boost its European
| staff.
`----

http://www.thestreet.com/_yahoo/video/strategysession/10381714.html?cm_ven=YAHOO&amp&cm_cat=FREE&amp&cm_ite=NA

Google will apparently survive this. Some of the latest:

Senate Panel Probes Google's Acquisition

,----[ Quote ]
| Senators Express No Opposition to Google's DoubleClick Purchase, but Say It
| Warrants Scrutiny
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/070927/google_doubleclick.html?.v=15

Microsoft is not a software company. It's a diplomatic bully.

Related:

Big businesses boast of patent benefits, for small businesses

,----[ Quote ]
| A report published by an EU task force on intellectual property claims
| that small businesses benefit from a patent system, despite lacking
| almost any participation by the small business community.
|
| Instead, the report, titled IPR (intellectual property rights) for
| competitiveness and innovation, was written up almost entirely by
| large corporations and the patent industry.
|
| [...]
|
| The report does note objections from the likes of patentfrei.de and
| Sun Microsystems, which were recorded at some length in the report.
| But this does not appear to have impacted the conclusion of the
| report in any way
|
| [...]
|
| Jean-Pierre Laisne, of ObjectWeb, an open source software community,
| said that he found the report useless: participants were told that
| all their contributions would be recorded but at the end only
| those of Business Software Alliance and Microsoft were used.
`----

http://www.pcpro.co.uk/news/99155/big-businesses-boast-of-patent-benefits-for-small-businesses.html

Getting lobbyists to come clean

,----[ Quote ]
| The National Security Division of the Department of Justice recently
| announced the launch of the enhanced Foreign Agent Registration Act Web site.
| The site claims to improve access to public information about foreign agents
| and their activities within the United States.
`----

http://news.com.com/2010-1028_3-6195884.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Bonnie Garcia - Enter the FUD Brigade

,----[ Quote ]
| In opposing California AB 1668, Bonnie spreads a heaping
| helping of fear, uncertainty and doubt by discussing
| wholly unrelated IT projects that failed.
`----

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bpfu7pwabLY

Packing The Court At The ISO?

,----[ Quote ]