[News] Hackers Still Fight Apple's Lock-ins

  • Subject: [News] Hackers Still Fight Apple's Lock-ins
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 13:04:11 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
New tools help hack into iPhone

,----[ Quote ]
| In fact, hackers have already developed a number of exploits that they claim
| could be used on the iPhone's Safari browser.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com.au/index.php?id=1399990457&rid=-50

Another fight for freedom (of speech):

Burma cyber-dissidents crack censorship

,----[ Quote ]
| Through his cyber-network he also aims to protect those who risk their lives
| to feed his blog, now banned inside the country.
`----

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7012984.stm

Yesterday:

Vivendi calls Apple iTunes contract terms "indecent"

,----[ Quote ]
| Vivendi condemned as "indecent" the contract terms between its Universal
| Music Group (UMG) unit and Apple Inc, the computer maker whose iTunes online
| store dominates the digital music market.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/musicNews/idUSL2488079220070924

Running Any Third Party iPhone Apps? Bye-Bye Warranty!

,----[ Quote ]
| You heard that the new firmware bricks unlocked iphones? Get this: Apple just
| confirmed to me that running any third-party app at all voids the warranty,
| and you won't be covered if your iPhone bricks for whatever reason.
`----

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/more-evil/running-any-third+party-iphone-app-voids-your-warranty-303191.php
http://tinyurl.com/yu3j9w

Did Apple Violate Magnuson-Moss over iPhone Unlocks?

,----[ Quote ]
| Apple has today stated that unlocking the iPhone is an official warranty
| violation. Further, they have stated that future iPhone firmware updates may
| damage unlocked iPhones. However, Apple may have violated an important
| federal warranty law in doing so.
`----

http://www.phonenews.com/content/view/2386/9/

Apple to Brick Modded iPhones, Apple Boycott?

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.osnews.com/story.php/18681/Apple-to-Brick-Modded-iPhones-Apple-Boycott/