[News] Company Talks About Its UNIX/Linux Route, SWsoft Supports Linux VMs

  • Subject: [News] Company Talks About Its UNIX/Linux Route, SWsoft Supports Linux VMs
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:56:12 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Symark joins crowded cross-platform management field

,----[ Quote ]
| "We took a Unix and Linux approach [to PowerADvantage]," Nielsen said. "All
| administration of the product can be done from the Linux and Unix command
| line; we wanted to make sure [IT managers] could work in the environment they
| like."
`----

http://searchenterpriselinux.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1273774,00.html

SWsoft sees future in multiplatform management

,----[ Quote ]
| Where Virtuozzo allows multiple virtual machines (VMs) to run on one machine
| using a single instance of the same operating system kernel -- either all
| Windows 2003, or all Linux -- Parallels Server will allow disparate operating
| systems to run on the same server.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070927/tc_infoworld/92112

There appears to be only one hypervisor/manager that is hostile towards Linux.
Guess which one?

Related:

Microsoft flip-flops on Vista virtualization

,----[ Quote ]
| Software like Parallels Desktop for the Mac or Microsoft's own Virtual
| PC for Windows allow multiple operating systems to run simultaneously.
| When it announced licensing rules for Vista last year, Microsoft said
| that only Vista Business and Vista Ultimate could run as guest
| operating systems. The company said virtualization presents inherent
| security risks and that it hoped by limiting which versions of the OS
| could act as virtual machines, only sophisticated users and businesses
| would employ the tactic.
`----

http://news.zdnet.com/2100-3513_22-6191787.html

Microsoft Says No Windows Virtualization on Top of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft will not allow Windows Vista or Windows XP to be virtualized on top
| of Linux, Sam Ramji, the director of Microsoft's open-source software lab,
| said at the annual LinuxWorld Conference and Expo here Aug. 7.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2168183,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03119TX1K0000594

Ubuntu on [Microsoft's] Virtual PC 2007 - No way dude!

,----[ Quote ]
| A number of people have asked me whether it's possible to install
| Linux onto a Virtual PC 2007 virtual machine.  Well, since I had
| an Ubuntu ISO on my desktop I decided to give it a go.
|
| The short answer is no.  It won't.  I thought that it might but
| my optimism was short-lived.  The graphics are all messed up.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=273

A Software Maker [VMWare] Goes Up Against Microsoft

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/24/technology/24soft.html?ex=1172898000&en=bbca645a927ef7f8&ei=5099&partner=TOPIXNEWS
http://tinyurl.com/35jkur

,----[ Quote ]
| The restrictions on virtualization were discussed here a couple of
| months ago, but now the more people are waking up to the EULA restrictions.
|
| MS claims it is "necessary for security reasons" and that only the "most
| technically savvy users, or people in companies with tech support,
| probably could handle Vista in virtualization programs, while home users
| should be steered away."
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070222/ap_on_hi_te/microsoft_virtual_vista_2

Is need for control behind Microsoft's flip-flop?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://news.com.com/8301-10784_3-9733433-7.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20