[News] Political FUD and Streotypes Still Used Against Free Software

  • Subject: [News] Political FUD and Streotypes Still Used Against Free Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:37:53 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Pass the source, please

,----[ Quote ]
| There is little doubt the open-source software movement has anti-capitalist
| elements. It even has a manifesto, the well-known tract The Cathedral and the
| Bazaar, written by the movement's very own Karl Marx, Eric Raymond (find it
| at catb.org/~esr/writings/cathedral-bazaar).
|
| It's a work in progress, constantly updated as Raymond sees fit, in the
| open-source tradition. Raymond calls SCO's actions suicidal and "deeply
| stupid".
`----

http://www.smh.com.au/news/perspectives/pass-the-source-please/2007/09/24/1190486224791.html

The problem with the computer industry under capitalism - Free Software the
answer?

,----[ Quote ]
| The term "free software" suggests a free lunch. One may think this simply
| means that you don't have to pay for the software. In most cases that is
| true, but not always. In this context "free" corresponds to the meaning of
| the French term libre, so it does not necessarily mean gratis. It is about
| freedom, not price.
`----

http://www.marxist.com/computer-industry-capitalism-free-software240907.htm

Of course, the "communism" BS is utter FUD. Everyone using the same softare
(Windows), /that/ is Communist and totalitarian.

Related:

Microsoft resumes bashing open source

,----[ Quote ]
`----