[News] [Rival] Obstrusive Microsoft Admits Failure (with Forced Adverts)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Obstrusive Microsoft Admits Failure (with Forced Adverts)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 12:29:16 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft changes video ad tactic

,----[ Quote ]
| Instead of forcing MSN Video visitors to watch an ad before every clip,
| Microsoft now shows one ad before their first video selection.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070926/ap_on_hi_te/techbit_microsoft_video_ads

Popups in Windows...

http://images.wikia.com/uncyclopedia/images/4/45/Errors.png

Related:

Microsoft patents Tivo for commercial breaks

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft has patented the idea of inserting fresh advertisements
| into old recordings on personal video recorders, to ensure you see
| today's ads even if you're watching a recording from last week.
`----

http://www.itwire.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=7946&Itemid=1063

Next version of Microsoft Works will be free but ad-driven

,----[ Quote ]
| With all the hype being gathered up by Microsoft Office 2007, there is a
| tendency to forget about Microsoft's other office suite known as Microsoft
| Works.
`----

http://arstechnica.com/journals/microsoft.ars/2007/07/30/microsoft-works-for-free

Microsoft patents the mother of all adware systems

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070717-microsoft-patents-the-mother-of-all-adware-systems.html

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Forget-about-the-WGA-20-Windows-Vista-Features-and-Services-Harvest-User-Data-for-Microsoft-58752.shtml

http://www.abanet.org/journal/ereport/jy13tkjasn.html

,----[ Quote ]
| Vista—Microsoft’s latest operating system—may prove to be most
| appropriately named, especially for those seeking evidence of how a
| computer was used.
`----

Will Microsoft Put The Colonel in the Kernel?

,----[ Quote ]
| "The kernel meets The Colonel in a just-published Microsoft patent
| application for an Advertising Services Architecture, which delivers targeted
| advertising as 'part of the OS.'

"Microsoft Selling SEX to children!"

,----[ Quote ]
| It advertises “Check out todays top 10 videos” with a picture of
| children watching videos and eating popcorn. SHAME ON YOU MICROSOFT
| for selling sex to children!
`----

http://davidostler.wordpress.com/2007/06/15/hello-world/

New Microsoft Ad Features Girl's Orgasm

,----[ Quote ]
| The ad shows a teenager asking her dad if she can stay out late on
| a date. The dad agrees on a 10:30 curfew, then answers the door.
| When he sees a cigarette-smoking punk at the door to take out hisd
| aughter, the video flashes to a half-second scene showing a car
| parked in some disreputable section of town, bouncing up and down,
| with the SOUND OF THE GIRL'S ORGASM...
`----

http://www.therawfeed.com/2007/05/new-microsoft-ad-features-teen-girls.html

UK advertising authority nixes Xbox 360 spot

,----[ Quote ]
| The UK's Advertising Standards Authority, an industry self-policing
| group, has ruled that an ad for Microsoft's Xbox 360 is out of
| bounds and can't be aired there again.
`----

http://blog.seattlepi.nwsource.com/microsoft/archives/113551.asp

Viral Marketing Leads to Mock Gunfight