[News] NVidia's Driver Still Proprietary But Backward-engineering Endeavour Continues

  • Subject: [News] NVidia's Driver Still Proprietary But Backward-engineering Endeavour Continues
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2007 07:58:37 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Nouveau Companion 27

,----[ Quote ]
| Well, the time since our last TiNDC has seen AMD releasing their specs to the
| Open Source community [AMD's Open-Source Strategy Explained]. We are glad
| that our pals over at Radeon are that lucky, hopefully NVidia will see the
| light someday too.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=861&num=1

Related:

NVIDIA: Got Specifications?

,----[ Quote ]
| This past week AMD raised the Linux graphics bar by not only announcing their
| new fglrx graphics driver, which delivers Radeon HD 2000 support, immense
| performance improvements, and AIGLX, but it was accompanied by an
| announcement that they will be delivering specifications to the X.Org
| development community. These two announcements came after intense work
| internally at AMD and over a long period of time, but literally overnight it
| changed the minds of many Linux users on how they judge this company with its
| once notorious binary blob. AMD has really set a precedence for showing that
| a semiconductor company once criticized to no end with their proprietary
| software can update their views to assist and embrace the open-source Linux
| community while remaining competitive as a company in a triopoloy market.
| They have also thus reaffirmed that Linux is a viable desktop operating
| system. But the ball has now landed in NVIDIA's court. NVIDIA can either play
| ball by pushing forward with a similar effort, and then all of the big three
| GPU manufacturers would be cradling an open-source strategy, or they may find
| themselves in trouble down the road.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=831&num=1

NVIDIA 100.14.19 Display Driver

,----[ Quote ]
| After a very slow summer, NVIDIA has finally rolled out an updated Linux
| proprietary display driver.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=846&num=1

Nouveau project hacks away at free Nvidia drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| Ultimately, Nouveau's goal, Skeggs says, "is to provide functional open
| source 2-D/3-D drivers for Nvidia chips from NV04 onwards."
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/118833

Nouveau Driver Q&A

,----[ Quote ]
| We are not on a crusade to burn all binary drivers. We do think however that
| people should have options and that other systems (like PPC) shouldn't be
| banned from 3D acceleration under Linux with NVidia.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=820&num=1

NVIDIA Blob Has Security Hole, Again

,----[ Quote ]
| Another security problem has crept up with NVIDIA's binary blob display
| driver for their GeForce and Quadro graphics cards.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=NjAwMQ

Willing to buy a high-end, free-software-only laptop?

,----[ Quote ]
| To that end I’d like to build up a list of people who are interested in this
| idea, and would potentially buy a high-powered laptop if it were guaranteed
| to work completely with free software drivers and OpenBIOS.
`----

http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/131

Nouveau Driver 2D performance exceeds Nvidia driver

,----[ Quote ]
| Richard Hughes has just published results from the gtkperf performance test.
|
| Results:
|
|     Nouveau: 24.86 seconds
|     NV: 40.78 seconds
`----

http://linuxupdate.blogspot.com/2007/07/nouveau-driver-2d-performance-exceeds.html

Nouveau: Where It Stands Today

,----[ Quote ]
| The Nouveau driver is making some terrific progress and we look forward
| to seeing what all can be accomplished by the end of this year.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=765&num=1

Nouveau: A First Look

,----[ Quote ]