[News] [SOT] Another Important Step for Blu-ray (and PS3/Linux)

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Another Important Step for Blu-ray (and PS3/Linux)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 17:37:24 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Sharp to offer Blu-ray recorder with 1-terabyte HDD

| Sharp also plans to offer eight other new Blu-ray recorder models by the end
| of the year in Japan in a bid to replace video cassette recorders and
| conventional DVD machines.
`----

http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUKT5590820070926?rpc=44

Related:

Sony invites Toshiba & Microsoft to join the Blu-ray camp

,----[ Quote ]
| "We would love to have Toshiba & Microsoft on board," said Don Eklund who was
| at the IFA.
`----

http://www.hdtvinfo.eu/news/hd-video-formats/sony-invites-toshiba--microsoft-to-join-the-blu-ray-camp.html

Two Studios to Support HD DVD Over Rival

,----[ Quote ]
|     But money talks: Paramount and DreamWorks Animation together will receive
|     about $150 million in financial incentives for their commitment to HD
|     DVD, according to two Viacom executives with knowledge of the deal but
|     who asked not to be identified.
|
|     The incentives will come in a combination of cash and promotional
|     guarantees. Toshiba, for instance, will use the release of ?Shrek the
|     Third? as part of an HD DVD marketing campaign.
|
|     Paramount and DreamWorks Animation declined to comment. Microsoft, the
|     most prominent technology company supporting HD DVDs, said it could not
|                                                                   ^^^^^^^^^
|     rule out payment but said it wrote no checks. ?We provided no financial
|     incentives to Paramount or DreamWorks whatsoever,? said Amir Majidimehr,
|     the head of Microsoft?s consumer media technology group.
`----

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/21/technology/21disney.html?ei=5088&en=d4e1f285e2f41437&ex=1345348800&adxnnl=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss&adxnnlx=1187698143-B5wO3L/F+4r1NyAsum87vQ

Dump your PC and Get a PS3!

,----[ Quote ]