[News] Reviews of FaunOX (Linux) and the New Linux Mint

  • Subject: [News] Reviews of FaunOX (Linux) and the New Linux Mint
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 05:17:07 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
ReviewLinux.Com: Linux Mint 3.1 Celena

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint is fast becoming the best alternative for your desktop computing.
| With many Linux Distributions on the market to choose from Linux Mint feel
| they have a great operating system that is ready to tackle the Linux
| marketplace. I have done a short tour of the new Linux Mint 3.1 Celena.
| Screenshots and Flash video make up this article.
`----

http://www.reviewlinux.com/?m=show&id=7240

Kind of fond of FaunOS

,----[ Quote ]
| As it is, FaunOS 42 is a remarkable achievement, especially considering this
| is only the distro's second release. It's attractive, with customized
| wallpaper, modern icons, agreeable fonts, tranparency, and an unconventional
| panel arrangement. It performs exceptionally well. Hardware support is very
| good. It comes with an ample and intuitive suite of software. But most
| importantly, it just works.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/119336

Upon the second release of this small distro, it seems as though it runs more
programs than Vista, and works better. The power of modularity and sharing.

Related:

[Linux Mint] "Celena" is out!

,----[ Quote ]
| This is Linux Mint 3.1, codename Celena, based on Cassandra and compatible
| with Ubuntu Feisty and its repositories.
`----

http://linuxmint.com/celena.html

A Date with Cassandra

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, Cassandra (Linux Mint 3.0) has left a mark on me that I?m
| thinking of someday replacing my wife?s Xubuntu laptop with Mint. It is
| undoubtedly worthy to be ranked among the top 10 Linux Distro and I will
| highly recommend it to those who want to try Linux.
`----

http://junauza.blogspot.com/2007/09/date-with-cassandra.html

First Beta of Linux Mint 3.1 Has Arrived

,----[ Quote ]
| Following the huge success of Cassandra and Bianca, the Linux Mint developers
| continue their success with a brand new version of their free operating
| system, Linux Mint 3.1, codname Celena.
|
| [...]
|
| Why should you choose Linux Mint Celena?
|
| ? Out of the box multimedia support
| ? Microsoft Windows Integration (Dual-boot, NTFS read/write support,
|   Migration Assistant)
| ? One-Click install system (Linux Mint Software Portal, mintInstall)
| ? Easy file-sharing (mintUpload)
| ? Desktop features, Control Center, mintMenu
| ? 3D Effects (Compiz and Beryl on top of AIGLX)
| ? Great configuration tools
| ? Great selection of default applications (OpenOffice, Firefox, Thunderbird,
|   Sunbird, Gimp, Pidgin, XChat, Amarok..etc)
| ? Solid package base (Google Earth, Picasa, Skype.. a lot of important
|   software present in the repositories or in the Linux Mint Software Portal,
|   compatibility with all Ubuntu Feisty repositories and most Debian packages)
| ? Solid code base (Debian distribution built on top of Ubuntu Edgy. Inherits
|   all innovations put into Bianca and default configurations from Bea)
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/First-Beta-of-Linux-Mint-3-1-Has-Arrived-64688.shtml

Review: Linux Mint 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I?d give Linux Mint very high marks. While it doesn?t get everything
| right, it does do the vast majority of things right. It looks good, runs
| good, and boots fast.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=282

Test Driving Linux Mint Cassandra

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, the system looks very good, I like the new artwork, it's
| fast, it includes almost everything you'll ever need for your daily
| tasks and if you cannot find something you need, I suggest you to try
| the new Software Portal that Linux Mint created for FREE. I'm not a
| GNOME fan and all that, but Linux Mint makes this aspect disappear
| very fast and who knows, I may start to like the GNOME desktop after
| all. Give Linux Mint Cassandra a try and I bet it will be love at
| first sight.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Test-Driving-Linux-Mint-Cassandra-56041.shtml

Linux Mint 3.0 Cassandra - A Review

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://shiftbackspace.com/2007/06/06/linux-mint-30-cassandra-a-review/

Review: Linux Mint 3.0

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall I?d give Linux Mint very high marks. While it doesn?t get everything
| right, it does do the vast majority of things right. It looks good, runs
| good, and boots fast.
`----

http://www.raiden.net/?cat=2&aid=282

Interview with Clement Lefebvre, Linux Mint

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://distrowatch.com/weekly.php?issue=20070702

Test Driving Linux Mint Cassandra

,----[ Quote ]
| All in all, the system looks very good, I like the new artwork, it's
| fast, it includes almost everything you'll ever need for your daily
| tasks and if you cannot find something you need, I suggest you to try
| the new Software Portal that Linux Mint created for FREE. I'm not a
| GNOME fan and all that, but Linux Mint makes this aspect disappear
| very fast and who knows, I may start to like the GNOME desktop after
| all. Give Linux Mint Cassandra a try and I bet it will be love at
| first sight.
`----

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Test-Driving-Linux-Mint-Cassandra-56041.shtml

Linux Mint 2.1

,----[ Quote ]
| The inclusion of MPlayer with all the plugins installed by default
| is a move. The biggest problem with most users of Linux is not being
| able to see that movie on the Internet since you do not have Windows
| Media Player or Quicktime.
|
| All in all Linux Mint is a great distribution, and being based on
| Ubuntu, it is also easy to find solutions for issues that can arise.
`----

http://gnuman.com/distros/linux_mint_2.1.html

Mint for Personal Use Laptop

,----[ Quote ]
| There is no more MS Windows at my house, at least not first level.
| Kinda of weird to think about in a way. All the excitement about MS
| Vista flashing about and I won't even see it. Instead, I am left
| wondering what my new Apple phone will be called when I get one
| (Oh yes: Serious need for that to replace my aging cell phone.
| Much penny saving to do.). I am guessing the new bit of required
| hardwares name will not be iPhone though. And a new territory to
| be explored: how well does Linux speak Bonjour and the other Apple
| network protocols? It would be pretty silly if the only way I can
| get to the hard drives on the Mac Mini is via SMB. I suppose NFS
| is an option. I have already hooked the external disk bays from
| the Mac Mini up to Linux before: Linux knows HFS+.
|
| I won't be the only kid on the block whose house is not running
| MS Windows though. They are really close to shipping the OLPC
| hardware, the XO. Everyone with one of those will be running
| Linux too.
`----

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/steve-carl/mint-toshiba

Linux Mint: Taking Ubuntu to the Next Level

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall Linux Mint is a fine distribution and I can proudly say
| I will be using it as my desktop OS. It is good to see that the
| team has different goals than Ubuntu and I forsee a greater amount
| of unique additions to Linux Mint in the future.
`----

http://techbycolin.com/?p=139

Linux Mint "Bianca" KDE Edition Beta 020: A Small Review

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux Mint is an Ubuntu-based distro whose goal in life, per its
| website, "is to produce an elegant, up to date and comfortable
| GNU/Linux desktop distribution." The developers have released
| both GNOME-based and KDE-based versions in the past, and their
| latest version, v2.2 "Bianca," is already final in its GNOME
| incarnation. They just released a beta version of "Bianca KDE
| Edition" using KDE v3.5.6. The final version is to be released
| later this month.
`----

http://www.tuxmachines.org/node/15051

Review: Linux Mint 2.2 Beta 020 "Bianca KDE Edition"

,----[ Quote ]
| While it is always nice to have another Linux distribution, because
| choice is good, I didn't see any compelling reason to use Linux Mint
| over the Ubuntu which it is based off of. The look is slightly
| different, with some different configuration options here and there.
| I can't really say it offers anything special over Ubuntu, but you never
| know, there are no doubt future improvements that the Linux Mint team
| will make. Hopefully they fix the video driver issue so I can try it
| out on my desktop.
`----

http://www.triedit.org/review/review-linux-mint-22-beta-2-bianca-kde-edition/

Review of Linux Mint Bianca KDE Edition - Ubuntu derivative

,----[ Quote ]
| With all the hype surrounding Ubuntu at the moment I think it's
| important not to overlook the other recent releases. One of these
| is Linux Mint Bianca: KDE Edition.
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/review_of_linux_mint_bianca_kde_edition__ubuntu_derivative
http://tinyurl.com/yrsql5

Another Printer Answer and Mint 3.0 Beta 012

,----[ Quote ]
| The first beta of Ubuntu 7.04 based Mint hits the torrents,
| plus another solution for the non-supported Linux printer
| question from Linuxworld
`----

http://talk.bmc.com/blogs/blog-carl/steve-carl/Mint-3-beta-1

Linux Mint 3.0 "Cassandra" : - Sexy and More User Friendly variant of Ubuntu
Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Overall Linux Mint is extremely user friendly Linux distribution
| perfectly suited for someone making a jump from Windows to Linux,
| it combines power of Ubuntu with ease of Windows and provides a
| solid desktop that is worth using. It provides relief from hassles
| of installing Codecs and Plug ins and other good desktop
| applications on Ubuntu and provides all the benefits of Ubuntu.
| If you are new to Ubuntu and dont have much technical know how
| this is the Linux Distribution to look Forward.
`----

http://linuxondesktop.blogspot.com/2007/05/linux-mint-30-cassandra-sexy-and-more.html

Linux Mint 2.2 [Review]

,----[ Quote ]