Re: SueMe Linux Rocks!

Verily I say unto thee, that dapunka spake thusly:
> On 25 Sep, 02:53, "DFS" <nospam@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> dapunka wrote:

>>> And "popular" = "good" I suppose?
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> Now apply that towering intellect and tell us why Linux/OSS isn't
>> popular.
>
> No, I want to examine what you wrote.  You think that "popular" =
> "good".  Did the USA suffer the Spice Girls.  They were /very/
> popular over here, and they were also crap.

It's no secret that the music industry is corrupt - we can thank the
RIAA for showing us the true face of the record labels - and along with
ripping-off their artists, they also pre-determine what is popular with
clever marketing. Did it ever occur to anyone how any song can go
"straight in at number one" in the charts? Think about it.

The fact is that radio stations play whatever the record companies /pay/
them to (using the euphemism "promotion" as justification). Music
artists are nothing more than a "product" to such people - they're
manipulated like stocks and shares (pump and dump). The "popularity" is
largely an illusion, which is easily established and maintained with the
gullible public.

After all, we /are/ talking about a society (in the U.S. at least) who's
people take reports from Fox News as the gospel truth. I'd be willing to
bet that DooFy one of those avid Fox News fans. Say no more.

Questionable musical tastes aside, DooFy's "towering intellect" still
can't comprehend the difference between popularity and ubiquity.

As has been pointed out to him on countless occasions, Windows is
currently the most ubiquitous operating system, but only because of
unique relationship between Microsoft and OEMs (and that as a result of
years of this nefarious relationship, Microsoft software has become
ingrained in society, like a genetic disorder) ... /not/ because of
public opinion. The /public/ do not /choose/ their OS, since most of
them are blissfully unaware that they even /have/ a choice, much less
what an OS is, or how to chose one.

On the rare occasions when the question of choice /has/ been discussed
in the mainstream (e.g. Dell), it turned out (much to the apparent shock
of the OEM) that customer's /were/ in fact demanding GNU/Linux, and that
even those who wanted Windows, preferred XP over Vista. It's amazing
what the dissemination of a little information can have on public
opinion, which is undoubtedly why Microsoft attempts to control that
information with lobbyists, Shills, and puppet "analysts".

If it were up to Microsoft, customers would not get those choices, and
up to now MS have indeed been successful in inhibiting choice, however
the tide is turning, and Microsoft is slowing losing it's grip. Once
people get a taste of Freedom, there's no going back.

The fact is that DooFy can make all the claims he likes based on the
current dominance of Windows, and unit sales (much of which is little
more than channel stuffing anyway), but the only stats that actually
/count/ in terms of public opinion, are those generated by people who
make an /informed/ choice, not those who just follow the herd.

But of course (sorry, I forgot), to reprehensible goons like DooFy, it's
only the /results/ that count, not the method (sell your soul to the
Devil, so long as you make a decent profit, it's worth it). Windows is
the most ubiquitous OS, and Microsoft are the world's biggest software
company - let's just pretend that this goal was accomplished ethically,
and that this "popularity" is as a result of public consensus, and
conveniently ignore the moral implications. Not that morality is
relevant anyway - it's all about the money, right?

Thanks to Microsoft's abortive attempts to update their operating
system, people are being forced (to a greater extent than ever before)
to re-evaluate their choices (indeed many are only just staring to
discover that there /is/ a choice). Many have chosen GNU/Linux. I
anticipate that many more will follow, if the Blogosphere is any indication.

When you're a supporter of a corrupt, greedy monopolist; it's an easy
life for as long as that monopoly remains unchallenged. The Trolls,
Shills and Fanbois must be feeling rather uneasy, right about now, which
explains their continued presence in a Linux advocacy group, and their
virulent attacks on it. It isn't just the /Source/ that they want
closed, it's Linux advocates mouths, people's minds, and the information
needed to make an informed choice; because the antagonists know that
once people /have/ that information, the choices they make will probably
/not/ favour Microsoft.

--
K.
http://slated.org

.----
| "OOXML is a superb standard"
| - GNU/Linux traitor, Miguel de Icaza.

 00:28:49 up 47 days, 23:23,  2 users,  load average: 0.46, 0.20, 0.14