[News] [Rival] Microsoft Wants to Sleep with the Enemy (and Fails)

  • Subject: [News] [Rival] Microsoft Wants to Sleep with the Enemy (and Fails)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 16:22:56 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft's quest for shared-source approval

,----[ Quote ]
| During this time, Microsoft was on the attack, worried in particular by the
| impact that free software was having on government computing projects, with
| their emphasis on cost and accountability. Within a matter of months
| Microsoft executives Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates, Craig Mundie and Jim Allchin
| all made statements about the dangers of free software.
`----

http://www.itpro.co.uk/features/126176/microsofts-quest-for-sharedsource-approval.html

Related:

My resolve to treat Microsoft like any another license submitter is being
sorely tested.

,----[ Quote ]
| They haven't stopped at pushing a "standard" that is divisive, technically
| bogus, and an obvious tool of monopoly lock-in; they have resorted to lying,
| ballot-stuffing, committee-packing, and outright bribery to ram it through
| the ISO standardization process in ways that violate ISO's own guidelines
| wholesale.
|
| [...]
|
| This is not behavior that we, as a community, can live with. Despite my
| previous determination, I find I'm almost ready to recommend that OSI tell
| Microsoft to ram its licenses up one of its own orifices, even if they are
| technically OSD compliant. Because what good is it to conform to the letter
| of OSD if you're raping its spirit?
`----

http://opensource.org/node/192

Is Open Source the Best Way to Unlock the Value of IT?

,----[ Quote ]