[News] Jon "maddog" Hall Talks About the Benefits of Linux to the Environment

  • Subject: [News] Jon "maddog" Hall Talks About the Benefits of Linux to the Environment
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 10:24:22 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Looking for Algae--the Next Voyage

,----[ Quote ]
| The Linux Foundation has developed a new initiative to work on power
| management. This is good news. Linux can become (along with the choice for
| supercomputing, embedded systems and server farms) the "green operating
| system". We should help both the Linux Foundation and Linux move along this
| path, if not just to save ourselves money in electricity
| and cooling, if not to help those "off the grid", then to help save the
| algae.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000309

Related:

Confessions! Jon 'maddog' Hall tells all!

,----[ Quote ]
| By switching to a Linux-based thin client, argued Hall, energy can be saved
| by running applications on machines that use only a fraction of power
| required by full desktops.
`----

http://www.itbusiness.ca/it/client/en/home/News.asp?id=43319

developerWorks Interviews: Jon "Maddog" Hall

,----[ Quote ]
`----

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/podcast/dwi/cm-int103106.html?S_TACT=105AGX59&S_CMP=GR&ca=dgr-dig60dWmadogpd
http://tinyurl.com/y3gk26

,----[ Quote ]
|     Q: You say that "you can bet your business on Free Software"; how do you
| back up that statement?
|
|     A: How can you bet your business on proprietary software? If a company is
| bought, goes bankrupt or merges or decides to delete a product line you have
| no choice but to go with whatever product or path they desire. How can you
| plan when the company keeps changing its licensing terms, and you have no
| real alternatives? What do you do when the company that makes your software
| puts its own profits and its values ahead of yours, the customer? When the
| software company holds back on releasing the latest bug fix so it fits its
| "release schedule?" When you can't get that one little feature added that
| would allow you to streamline your business, save a lot of money and beat
| your competition to market?
|
|     What happens if that company (no matter where it is) is embargoed?
|
|     Jon "Maddog" Hall,
|     President, Linux International,
|     ComputerWorld interview
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;527801083;fp;2;fpid;4

Report: Linux, open source greener than Windows

,----[ Quote ]
| A new report from the U.K. Office of Government Commerce about Open
| Source Software Trials in Government, has found that servers running
| Linux could combat the rising problem of e-waste because they last
| up to twice as long as machines running Windows.
`----

http://searchopensource.techtarget.com/originalContent/0,289142,sid39_gci1246762,00.html?track=sy184
http://tinyurl.com/38cge3

Use GNU/Linux and help save the planet