[News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User

  • Subject: [News] PC World Surrenders to Linux User
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:45:44 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Refund for me! PC World buckle to the pressure.

,----[ Quote ]
| I went back today and received a refund straight away with no messing at all.
`----

http://www.dreamstate.eu/home/20070924.html

Recent:

Man wins damages from Acer over Windows refund

.----[ Quote ]
| According to this web site, not only did Antoine Gutzwiller get a
| full refund on a list of the software bundled his machine, but got
| €500 extra for what the court dubbed Abusive Resistance.

PC World Linux laptop warranty saga gets even more bizarre

,----[ Quote ]
| This is not an isolated incident by any means, reports are now popping up of
| other people turned away by PC World for hardware repairs due to a Linux
| installation. One even reports that PC World told him that Linux was 'alien
| software' and so the numerous dead pixels on the screen could not be repaired
| under warranty. Perhaps the Linux spaceship had landed on the display causing
| the damage? Makes about as much sense as PC World is at the moment…

PC World refuse to repair hardware fault, AGAIN because of linux! argh

,----[ Quote ]
| So, after being told this rubbish I said well tell you what, I called
| expecting Head Office and I was told I am being put through to them, clearly
| you are not Head Office can you transfer me now please. He did't like that
| much obviously, he agreed and then...
|
| Hung up on me.
|
| Argh, so I go back into the store as I was in the car park making the call.
|
| Told Mr Tank that he told me more rubbish and he said that its a call centre,
| and he has no other contact number for them. He didn't try to call them, he
| didnt offer me any more help. So I said I would write in as I had no other
| choice and I left.
`----

http://www.dreamstate.eu/home/20070914.html

PC World refuse to repair hardware fault, because of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| PC World refuse to repair hardware fault, because of LinuxToday I took my
| laptop to pc world because a crack has developed near the left hinge,
| this develops because the joint inside is failing and spreading to the
| casing.
|
| Laptop is only 4 or 5 months old and otherwise in good condition.
|
| It was agreed that infact there is indeed an issue with the hinge and that it
| will spread much further untill the display can no longer stay attached to
| the rest of the unit.
|
| Then I was told because I have Linux installed, I am not covered by my
| warranty.
`----

http://www.dreamstate.eu/?pcworld

Related:

I've installed Linux, now give me my Windows refund

,----[ Quote ]
| Unfortunately, due to unfair licensing practices, Windows comes
| with most computers that are purchased and most people have to payf
| or Windows whether they like it or not, even if they are looking for
| a naked machine, ie one without an operating system installed. As
| you may well know that finding a naked notebook is difficult and
| can be expensive. Because of this several complaints have been put
| to the European Union asking them to investigate. This has been
| reported in the press (see
| http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/276088_msfteu01.html). This,
| as you may have heard, is referred to as the 'Microsoft Tax'.
`----

http://www.fedoraforum.org/forum/showthread.php?t=139627

ChangeLog: HP clarifies warranty under Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| HP is committed to supporting its customers and backs its PCs with a
| solid hardware warranty regardless of the operating system.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/30/199253&from=rss

ChangeLog: Run Linux, lose warranty

,----[ Quote ]
| When she called Compaq -- the unit comes with a one-year warranty
| on the hardware -- they asked what operating system she was running.
| When she told them Linux, they said, "Sorry, we do not honor our
| hardware warranty when you run Linux." In order to get warranty
| service, she was told, she would have to remove Linux and
| reinstall the original OS.
`----

http://enterprise.linux.com/article.pl?sid=07/03/23/1430204&from=rss

Packard Bell: "Upgrade to Vista & lose your...

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.vistaforums.com/Forum/Topic4458-41-1.aspx