[News] Monsoon to Comply with GNU GPL After Law School Gets Involved

  • Subject: [News] Monsoon to Comply with GNU GPL After Law School Gets Involved
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 22:43:21 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
First U.S. GPL lawsuit heads for quick settlement

,----[ Quote ]
| The first U.S. GPL-related lawsuit appears to be headed for a quick
| out-of-court settlement. Monsoon Multimedia admitted today that it had
| violated the GPLv2 (GNU General Public License version 2), and said it will
| release its modified BusyBox code in full compliance with the license.

SCO is still collecting "IP" from people who were born yesterday...

http://www.sco.com/scosource/license_program.html

Related:

Expect a settlement in Monsoon GPL suit

,----[ Quote ]
| Does Monsoon want to fight a public relations battle against open source
| users and a lawsuit against open source advocates, alongside a market battle
| with Slingbox in which its own market share is low? From here that’s
| doubtful.
`----

http://blogs.zdnet.com/open-source/?p=1454

On Behalf of BusyBox Developers, SFLC Files First Ever U.S. GPL Violation
Lawsuit

,----[ Quote ]
| The Software Freedom Law Center (SFLC) today announced that it has filed the
| first ever U.S. copyright infringement lawsuit based on a violation of the
| GNU General Public License (GPL)...
`----

http://www.earthtimes.org/articles/show/news_press_release,182497.shtml

New Method To Detect and Prove GPL Violations

,----[ Quote ]
| "A paper to be presented at the upcoming academic conference Automated
| Software Engineering describes a new method to detect code theft and could be
| used to detect GPL violations in particular. While the co-called birthmarking
| method is demonstrated for Java, it is general enough to work for other
| languages as well..."
`----

http://developers.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=07/08/25/1648253&from=rss

German Court convicted Skype of violating the GPL

,----[ Quote ]
| German district court Munich has convicted Skype of violating the GPL. One of
| the VoIP telephones sold by Skype run Linux, but the GPL text was not handed
| out together with the phone, although the GPL requires that.
`----

http://liquidat.wordpress.com/2007/07/24/german-court-convicted-skype-of-violating-the-gpl/#comment-27057

German GPL defender claims legal victory

,----[ Quote ]
| Open-source programmer Harald Welte said Thursday he won a civil court
| case in Germany centered on the General Public License (GPL). The license
| governs many open-source projects and permits anyone to use software
| covered by it, but requires that companies incorporating GPL software
| make the underlying source code available.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10795_3-6113453.html?part=rss&tag=6113453&subj=news

gpl-violations.org project prevails in court case on GPL violation by D-Link

,----[ Quote ]
| D-Link Germany GmbH, a subsidiary of D-Link Corporation, Taiwan R.O.C.,
| distributed DSM-G600, a network attached storage (NAS) device which uses a
| Linux-based Operating System.  However, this distribution was incompliant
| with the GNU General Public License (GPL) which covers the Linux Kernel and
| many other software programs used in the product.
`----

http://gpl-violations.org/news/20060922-dlink-judgement_frankfurt.html

Wallace's Appeal Firmly Rejected - GPL Has Nothing to Fear [pdf]

,----[ Quote ]
| PJ: "Just so you know, Daniel Wallace's appeal of the ruling
| against him in his pro se quest to overthrow the GPL on antitrust
| grounds, one of SCO's daydreams too, has been firmly rejected by
| the appeals court, as I knew it would be."
`----

http://www.groklaw.net/pdf/WallaceAppealRejected.pdf

Would Dostoevsky Use the GPL?

,----[ Quote ]