Re: [News] Slow Acceptance in the UK that Open Source Software is to be Embraced

7 <website_has_email@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> espoused:
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> UPDATED: Open source in the UK
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | Once again there are signs of improvement, however. The backbench MP
>> | revolt over open source software in schools might not have brought about
>> | change but it did show that understanding of the potential for open
>> | source is growing.
>> |
>> | The Conservative Party has also shown some willingness to make open
>> | source an election issue. Such a lively debate could be just what the UK
>> | needs to shake up attitudes to open source.
>> `----
>>
>> http://www.cbronline.com
> article_news.asp?guid=7307CBD8-71D8-487B-8589-C5E326D6CA93
>

> It is management that is becoming afraid of micoshaft.
>
> Webserver gets infected.
>
> What do you do?
>
> Do you run to your nearest windummy computer
> to let a windummy investigate and infect your entire oganisation?
>
> Or do you listen to your Linux techie and let
> him sort it out with his Linux computer?
>
> Choose! and Choose well!!!

The "who do we blame when it goes wrong" argument has been used by
proprietary vendors for decades to persuade senior people that they
shouldn't use their internal experts, rather, they should spend good
money on buying-in externally supplied solutions because it was
"politically" safer.

Unfortunately, however, this has totally backfired, since the internally
managed floss projects are far superior to the externally vended
proprietary ones, and when the senior people want to do some blaming,
what the actually find is that the company which promised to "take the
blame" actually blames the customer's admins.  Those would be the ones
trained by the vendor...

Free software, for use when your job really is on the line, when you
absolutely have to have control, and when a third-party vapid promise is
just not good enough.