Re: [News] Ubuntu Linux Has Mastered Hype, Blind Acceptance

Ian Hilliard <nospam@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
>
>> Educating GNU/Linux users
>>
>> ,----[ Quote ]
>> | More – if you know more than somebody, as Ubuntu’s developers obviously
>> | do, you have an obligation to give them the opportunity. To do otherwise
>> | is to dismiss the average person as willfully ignorant. Possibly, I’m
>> | naive, but I’m not quite ready to regard others that way.
>> |
>> | Anyway, which came first: operating systems like Windows that prevent
>> | people from learning about their computers, or users who were fixated on
>> | accomplishing specific tasks. If computer users are task-oriented, at
>> | least some of the time, the reason could be that they’re conditioned to
>> | be so. Perhaps they’ve learned from Windows that prying into the inner
>> | workings of their computer is awkward and difficult. We don’t really
>> | know how many users will want to learn more, given the opportunity.
>> `----
>>
>> http://brucebyfield.wordpress.com/2007/09/22/educating-gnulinux-users/
>>

> I don't know why you're going after Ubuntu now. Ubuntu is not as easy to set
> up as some other distros, but it is rock solid and works quite well.

Because he is a loony. Simple. The Ubuntu crowd (of which I was/am one)
are bringing Linux for the desktop to the common man. This does not sit
well with idiots like Roy and the rest because they lose their
superiority knowing a few CLI tweaks.