[News] [SOT] Classical Music Takes the Free Software Route

  • Subject: [News] [SOT] Classical Music Takes the Free Software Route
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 00:05:06 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Musopen

,----[ Quote ]
| This site takes music that is in the public domain, meaning a work that
| belongs to the community, and has it recorded by individuals and
| college/community orchestras throughout the United States and stored online
| so it can be accessed for free through this website.
`----

http://www.musopen.com/

There are more sites like this. It seems like a hot trend that results in free
distribution of music and new revenue models (e.g. concerts, added value,
exclusive music, guitar lessons).

Related:

Free Music Project

,----[ Quote ]
| Our first project is with OLPC, the One Laptop per Child project, also
| commonly referred to as the $100 Laptop.
`----

http://freemusic.freeculture.org/

Nine Inch Nails' Open Source Remix Album Available as Free Torrent

,----[ Quote ]
| Over the past few months, "multiple judges" at 9inchnails.com listened to
| over 200 submissions to the Nine Inch Nails open source remix contest and the
| 21 best remixes are now free to download via torrent or stream via the
| website.
`----

http://blog.wired.com/music/2007/09/nine-inch-nails.html

Music industry attacks Sunday newspaper's free Prince CD

.----

`----

http://business.guardian.co.uk/story/0,,2114557,00.html