[News] Windows and OneKer [sic] Don't Trust Microsoft Software

  • Subject: [News] Windows and OneKer [sic] Don't Trust Microsoft Software
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 23:33:00 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Microsoft defeats Microsoft.

http://designflaw.blogspot.com/2006/06/microsoft-defeats-microsoft.html

The screenshot says it all.

Related:

I'm Getting More Concern than (One)Care

,----[ Quote ]
| Apparently, OneCare doesn't think too much of my corporate connection
| and switches status from "automatic" to "restricted" during VPN
| connection. This has been the case since I installed OneCare last
| week. So, why the futz now?
`----

http://www.seopher.com/articles/30_considered_a_move_to_linux_over_vista

Microsoft shipped OneCare unfinished?

,----[ Quote ]
| Since shipping in May, OneCare has failed industry tests and exposed
| users to attack because of a security flaw in the antivirus engine.
| The application also incorrectly flagged Gmail as a virus and in some
| cases quarantined or even deleted complete in-boxes when a single
| e-mail was laden with a virus.
`----

http://news.com.com/2061-10789_3-6168629.html?part=rss&tag=2547-1_3-0-20&subj=news

Microsoft using early Vista users as guinea pigs?

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=646

Microsoft using early Vista users as guinea pigs?

,----[ Quote ]
| Interesting to read in the International Herald Tribune this week
| about Microsoft hitting a 'crisis of confidence' with its new Vista
| operating system.
|
| [...]
|
| Sounds familiar? Your bet - it's almost an exact re-run of the
| security issues that affected Windows XP in its earliest days.
|
| Microsoft wouldn't be using its Vista users - as it did with XP -
| as guinea pigs, now would it?...
`----

http://securityblog.itproportal.com/?p=646

Live Onecare loses own antivirus and a new kernel in SP1

,----[ Quote ]
| Onecare is an antivirus application as well as antispyware and
| antiphishing and lord knows what else not-very-well-tested
| additional functionality. So Onecare effectively lost track of
| some parts of itself. What is it with Microsoft, they're
| definitely getting worse.
`----

http://crunchysoftware.wordpress.com/2007/03/08/live-onecare-loses-own-antivirus-and-a-new-kernel-in-sp1/
http://tinyurl.com/2ely8a

Microsoft confirms OneCare zaps Outlook, Outlook Express e-mail

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp. has acknowledged that a bug in its Windows Live
| OneCare security suite has been causing users' e-mail to vanish
| from Outlook and Outlook Express.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9012499

Windows Live Onecare beta ate my hard disk

,----[ Quote ]
| So when the 90 day trial expired, he thought it well worth the
| $90 or so which Microsoft asked for a licence. When he rung up,
| he was surprised to be informed that the Beast isn't yet selling
| the product outside America.
|
| So he was suddenly left with an XP machine that was defenceless
| and with plenty of data that was now unreadable.

Security Suite Smackdown, Part I

,----[ Quote ]
| Eight of the biggest names in security go head to head in
| this round up of the best (and worst) of the apps that
| aim to keep you safe.

Study: Symantec Best at Removing Rootkits; Microsoft Worst

,----[ Quote ]