[News] The Fight for Open Source is Gradually Being Won as Microsoft Loses (Glyn Moody)

  • Subject: [News] The Fight for Open Source is Gradually Being Won as Microsoft Loses (Glyn Moody)
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:55:14 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Defending Openness

,----[ Quote ]
| What this shows is that however many battles are won, the war against closed,
| proprietary approaches goes on. Open source and open standards have made huge
| strides, but in other areas - open access and open data, for example - the
| fight is only beginning.
`----

http://www.linuxjournal.com/node/1000308

Related:

Microsoft Loses, Spins Open XML Vote

,----[ Quote ]
| ISO issued a statement that makes plain what Microsoft tried to spin as a
| victory.

OSI Calls for Major Revisions to Microsoft Permissive License

,----[ Quote ]
| But the two primary criticisms of the MPL are valid, Tiemann said.
`----

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,1759,2185919,00.asp?kc=EWRSS03129TX1K0000616

EU court dismisses most of Microsoft's appeal

,----[ Quote ]
| The EU's Court of First Instance dismissed Microsoft's appeal on all
| substantive points, reversing the Commission only on the creation of a
| monitoring trustee to ensure implementation of one of the remedies.
`----

http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nBRU005957

Software Notebook: Microsoft's cash pile isn't what it used to be

,----[ Quote ]
| But Microsoft has taken a series of steps to reduce its cash
| balance. Specifically, by Microsoft's count, the company has
| paid out nearly $100 billion through dividends and repurchasing
| its own stock in the past five years.
`----

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/309852_software02.html

Allchin's 'Buy a Mac' E-Mail Exposed