[News] Linux Drivers Become a Non-brainer, Thanks to Dell's DKMS

  • Subject: [News] Linux Drivers Become a Non-brainer, Thanks to Dell's DKMS
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Sep 2007 15:31:10 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Coming soon: automatic Linux driver upgrades

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux users want two things for their hardware: drivers; and easy access to
| those drivers. The first is finally happening; and now, thanks to a Dell
| Linux project called DKMS (Dynamic Kernel Module Support), the other is on
| its way.

Ubuntu plus Dell equals better support for devices in Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| One of the best things that has happened to Linux enthusisasts the world over
| is the confluence of two big players one in the Linux arena (Ubuntu aka
| Canonical) and the other in the PC hardware space (Dell). And the end users
| have already started reaping the benefits.
`----

http://linuxhelp.blogspot.com/2007/07/ubuntu-plus-dell-equals-better-support.html

Dell's Small Software Acquisition Has Big Implications

,----[ Quote ]
| So, how does Silverback benefit Dell? It's rather simple: The same way that
| big outsourcing firms like Electronic Data Systems manage Fortune 500
| networks, Dell can now remotely manage thousands of individual customer
| sites.
`----

http://biz.yahoo.com/seekingalpha/070719/41564_id.html?.v=1

Pre-loaded Linux = Increased adoption?

,----[ Quote ]
| "I think Dell pre-loading Linux will have a significant impact on
| Linux adoption, although not necessarily because so many end
| users comfortable with Windows will decide to switch. Rather,
| Dell's involvement will motivate many hardware manufacturers
| to make reliable Linux drivers available, the lack of which
| has significantly retarded the adoption of Linux by many
| individuals and organizations interested in trying out Linux.
| By reducing the barrier of drivers and thereby enabling these
| trials, Linux will start to achieve some momentum, which will
| in turn increase its adoption rate. So, I applaud Dell for
| moving forward on this initiative."
`----

http://enterpriselinuxlog.blogs.techtarget.com/2007/05/01/pre-loaded-linux-increased-adoption/

Dell Wants Better ATI Linux Drivers

,----[ Quote ]
| At Ubuntu Live 2007, Amit Bhutani had a session on Ubuntu Linux for Dell
| Consumer Systems, where he had shared a slide with Dell's "area of
| investigation", which Amit had said is essentially their Linux road-map. Amit
| had also stated that the NVIDIA 2D and 3D video drivers were "challenges in
| platform enablement". Dell wants to offer ATI Linux systems, but first the
| driver must be improved for the Linux platform (not necessarily open-source,
| but improved).
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/?page=news_item&px=NTkxOA

Linux: Driver Support is Key