Re: [News] Customers Stung by 64-bit Microsoft Windows

On Sat, 22 Sep 2007 17:43:05 +0100, Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> "Valued customers" bug Neat Receipts over Vista support
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
>| There, people wonder why it's just so difficult for firms to develop 64-bit
>| drivers. Microsoft might be a better company to ask - but we suspect it's a
>| huge sea change and we are just the flots and the jets being carried along on
>| the top of an irresistible wave.
> `----
>
> http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=42548
>
> Even some Microsoft products do not support 64-bit PCs. Of course, open source
> drivers don't have this issue.

I think the issue here is that, for a variety of reasons, Linux drivers are
typically written in C, and not optimized to the Nth degree for performance
like their Windows counterparts are.

I'd dare say, most "performance" oriented drivers (video, sound, etc..) are
written largely in assembly language to eek out every ounce of performance
the hardware can give.  This makes them less portable, and developers have
much less experience writing 64-bit assembly.  C drivers, unless you're
really stupid, largely just need a recompile.