Re: Vive L'Europe!!

____/ Mark Kent on Saturday 22 September 2007 08:44 : \____

>> ____/ dapunka on Monday 17 September 2007 21:47 : \____

>>> When I read about this earlier today, I was truly shocked.  I was so
>>> sure that Microsoft would have cunningly pirouetted away from under
>>> the judge's gavel - maybe allegedly aided by a financial inducement
>>> somewhere and a fan club of politicians somewhere else.  But no -
>>> almost all of the 2004 decision was upheld.  Including that
>>> accumulating fine!  That's got to get 'em where it hurts!
>>
>> It'll be more important (and interesting) to see the reaction of the States
>> who wish to extend oversight at this very crucial time (Microsoft's
>> attempted hijack of the Web, including replacement of (X)HTML with XAML,
>> which is
>> Windows-only). Let's not forget OOXML, HD,  and XPS. Why doesn't media cover
>> these hugely important issues?
>>

> Well, for the following reasons:
>
> 1. They don't understand them
> 2. The public doesn't understand them
> 3. Microsoft own a large part of the media
> 4. The US government is thoroughly influenced by Microsoft
> 5. Microsoft has invested huge sums in influence governments around the
> world
> 6. The media rely on Microsoft for much revenue

The Web can help change some of this (blog especially), but it still has a very
limited reach. Some people only use the Web for E-mail (Webmail of course),
Facebook, and random surfing (on football and celebrities).

Still, the least we can do is speak out and hope something sticks.

Roy S. Schestowitz      |    "I think I think, therefore I think I am"