[News] More Linux Development Sites Born, Courtesy of Intel

  • Subject: [News] More Linux Development Sites Born, Courtesy of Intel
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 17:44:35 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Intel Launches Developer-Focused Sites

,----[ Quote ]
| James also unveiled LessWatts.org, a community site dedicated to data-center
| power management around Linux servers based on the Intel platform. Other
| vendors contributing information to the site are Oracle and Linux distributor
| Red Hat.
|
| For Linux developers, Intel launched in July Moblin.org, which is dedicated
| to developing Linux for Intel-based mobile internet devices. Partners in the
| site include Canonical, which leads the development of Ubuntu Linux, and
| Chinese Linux vendor Red Flag Software.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/cmp/20070921/tc_cmp/201807963

Related (IDF):

Intel Stoakley & Harpertown Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| While there were a number of benchmarks used, some of the results were done
| within Linux for kernel compilation, LAME encoding, and OpenSSL. We've
| published all of the slides that were shared with the press today, including
| the early Harpertown/Stoakley benchmarks.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=853&num=1

Video: Linux Spotted Running on BenQ UMPC

,----[ Quote ]
| I guess Intel is really starting to spread its operating system wings.
| They've been backing Windows for ages and they hopped onto the Apple
| bandwagon some time back. And now it seems like they're showing love to the
| penguin too.
`----

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/333/C13376/

Intel shares the laptop love with Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| How times change. A few short years ago the only OS on show at Intel's San
| Francisco developer forums was Windows, and the only place you'd see a Mac
| was two blocks away at the Apple store. Now Microsoft has been shuffled aside
| from the IDF stage to make room Mac notebooks and desktops and, perhaps more
| worrying to Redmond, Linux. Intel's ultra-mobile platform leans heavily
| towards Linux, with executives from RedHat and Cannonical appearing during
| keynotes at the last two IDFs.
`----

http://www.apcmag.com/7227/intel_shares_the_laptop_love_with_linux

NEW INTEL OPEN SOURCE PROJECT ‘LESSWATTS.ORG’ AND TOOLS MAXIMIZES POWER SAVINGS
IN LINUX SYSTEMS

,----[ Quote ]
| Linux operating systems continue to grow in relevance and market share.
`----

http://www.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=9903

Open Source, Part of a Bigger Trend

,----[ Quote ]
| The Old Days: Commercial firewalls hosted on commercial Unix and proprietary
| routers
| Today: Inexpensive SoHo routers flashed with embedded Linux and complex
| security and networking tools
|
| [...]
|
| The Old Days: Solaris, Windows, and Oracle
| Today: Linux, MySQL, and PostgresSQL
`----

http://opensource.sys-con.com/read/431542_p.htm

Intel adds WiMax, 3G support to Linux device plans

,----[ Quote ]
| If Intel's aim to popularize ultraportable PCs based on Linux takes off with
| end-users, this will have far-reaching implications by expanding the number
| of people that use Linux beyond technology enthusiasts to the mainstream, and
| treading into territory coveted by Microsoft.
`----

http://news.yahoo.com/s/infoworld/20070919/tc_infoworld/91930

Intel: Why Open-Source Drivers Work

,----[ Quote ]