Re: [News] [Rival] Microsoft's Appeal Goes Kaput in Europe!!!

> ____/ Stuart Miller on Monday 17 September 2007 18:40 : \____
>

>> "Roy Schestowitz" <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote in message
>>> EU court dismisses most of Microsoft's appeal
>>>
>>> ,----[ Quote ]
>>> `----
>>>

> http://investing.reuters.co.uk/news/articleinvesting.aspx?type=media&storyID=nBRU005957
>>>
>>> SCO bankrupt on Friday and Microsoft down on Monday. What a great week.
>>>
>>> This decision is very likely to affect the States' request for extended
>>> oversight in the United States.
>>
>> I'm really pleased with this ruling.
>> It's hard to say much about the process or the differences between European
>> and US government models, but I am sure that the only reason MS gets away
>> with so much in the US is that it is such a major contributor to US
>> politicians, to the US foreign exchange reserves, and to US income tax.
>> Europe would see MS as a drain in their foriegn exchange, aside from an
>> anti-American sentiments they may have.
>> Now if we could get the Canadian government, which faces the same situation
>> as Europe, to follow along...
>
> Japan is soon to follow. I can get you the link if you want...

I sincerely hope that Japan does.  I'm fairly certain that the reason
why so many governments haven't taken such action already is that
they're afeared of punitive action by the US for not accepting the US's
corrupt companies to operate in the same way on their own turf.  As the
EU have shown two fingers to the US on this, I'm sure many others will
be very happy indeed to align with the EU.

The interesting problem the US is now facing is that the position of
global influence it's held for about the last 70 years is facing a rapid
reduction.  Clearly, it's not going to disappear by any stretch of the
imagination, but I think that the rather arrogant approach last
personified in the completely unjustifiable invasion of Iraq is probably
no longer internationally tenable.