[News] Wintel Does Its Benchmarks on GNU/Linux

  • Subject: [News] Wintel Does Its Benchmarks on GNU/Linux
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 Sep 2007 09:12:57 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Intel Stoakley & Harpertown Benchmarks

,----[ Quote ]
| While there were a number of benchmarks used, some of the results were done
| within Linux for kernel compilation, LAME encoding, and OpenSSL. We've
| published all of the slides that were shared with the press today, including
| the early Harpertown/Stoakley benchmarks.
`----

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=853&num=1

It must be unpleasant doing benchmarks for days only to receive a sudden and
disruptive BSoD (or be faced with validation, or forced reboot, etc).

Related:

GNU/Linux is the most power-efficient OS on Intel hardware

,----[ Quote ]
| According to a keynote given at OSCON, Intel's PowerTOP application has
| allowed developers to get a close-up view of what is sucking power in a
| GNU/Linux system. Apparently they've gotten so much feedback and patches that
| they've been able to extend battery life by an hour since the first release,
| making GNU/Linux the best OS for power saving.
`----

http://digg.com/linux_unix/GNU_Linux_is_the_most_power_efficient_OS_on_Intel_hardware

Intel GMA950 & xf86-video-intel 2.1.0

,----[ Quote ]