[News] Visualisation Tool from Demicron Ported to GNU/Linux

Demicron Reveals Linux and Solaris Version of Its 3D Visualization Tool
WireFusion 5

,----[ Quote ]
| ...3D visualization tool WireFusion® 5 now also is available for the Linux
| and Solaris platforms.
`----

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20080410005023&newsLang=en

These are platforms to get things done on, not mess about. Same in Hollywood.

Related:

Open Source and Movie Magic

,----[ Quote ]
| Last week at FOSDEM, I attended Tux With Shades, Linux In Hollywood, a
| keynote by Robin Rowe and Gabrielle Pantera. Robin is the admin of the
| CinePaint project, which is used for frame-by-frame retouching of film - part
| of a long chain of technology needed for making movie magic, all of which
| typically runs on Linux.
`----

http://sourceforge.net/community/open-source-and-movie-magic/

Hollywood, Linux, and CinePaint at FOSDEM 2008

,----[ Quote ]
| At first, studios had no choice but to develop Linux applications in house.
| The film industry has millions of lines of Linux code, both desktop
| applications and server pipelines. Studio Linux programmers write code in
| C++, Python, Perl, and Java. What does all this secret proprietary Linux code
| do? And, why do they do parallel programming with grid computing? How does
| the film industry use renderfarms with thousands of CPUs?
`----

http://linuxgazette.net/147/rowe.html

DreamWorks wins an award for its innovative use of Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Behind that effort sits Ed Leonard, chief technology officer at DreamWorks,
| who has been recognized for his work with an Annie Award for "promoting the
| Linux open system for animation in animation studios and gaming software
| development."
`----

http://blogs.cnet.com/8301-13505_1-9865829-16.html

Linux Goes Hollywood With New Terra Soft Film Rendering Tool

,----[ Quote ]
| Y-Film is a product formed from two separate applications. The first is a
| cluster construction suite supported by Terra Soft's Y-HPC platform. The
| second is the Artist Productivity and Asset Management Tools developed by
| Scott Frankel, president and VFX supervisor at Circle-S Studios and the lead
| developer of Y-Film. The tool set runs on x86 Linux, Power Linux and Mac OS
| X.

Linux in Hollywood

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=636VZ_R-NVs

Studios Using Linux