[News] Massive New Attack on Software Patents in the United States

Open source launches attack on software patents

,----[ Quote ]
| In a statement, ESP Executive Director Ben Klemens said, "This is an historic
| opportunity to fix the U.S. patent system, as the Bilski rehearing will
| directly address the boundaries of the subject matter of patents. In our
| brief, the End Software Patents project supports the Supreme Court's
| long-held position that computer software should not be patentable, and has
| highlighted to the Court the real economic harm software patents cause the
U.S. economy."

Red Hat Says U.S. Patent System Is Broken

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Red Hat filed with the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals to
| carefully examine the state of software patents in the country. According to
| Red Hat, a company ripe with support for open source software, software
| patents are being issued at an alarming rate, and many of them are obvious
| ideas that should not have passed the patent desk to begin with.
`----

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/redhat-patent-lawsuit,news-961.html

An opportunity to End Software Patents: ESP briefs Court in its historic
rehearing of the Bilski case

,----[ Quote ]
| End Software Patents (ESP) has filed an amicus curiae brief in the Court of
| Appeals for the Federal Circuit's (CAFC) rehearing of the In re Bilski case.
`----

http://blue-gnu.biz/content/opportunity_end_software_patents_esp_briefs_court_its_historic_rehearing_bilski_case

EFF Asks Court to Limit What Is Patentable

,----[ Quote ]
| In re Bilski is an appellate court case that provides an opportunity to
| eliminate business method patents and curtail efforts to claim monopolies on
| basic human skills, behaviors, and interactions. Bilski is challenging the
| rejection of his application for a patent on a method of managing the risk of
| bad weather through commodities trading.
`----

http://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2008/04/bilski

Related and recent:

Microsoft Told to Pay Alcatel-Lucent $368 Million

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft Corp., the world's biggest software maker, was told to pay $368
| million after a jury found it infringed two patents owned by Alcatel-Lucent
| SA for touch- screen form entry and use of a stylus on computers.
`----

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601103&sid=axahvgWQPnX8&refer=news

Bush Administration Speaks Against Patent Overhaul

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.pcworld.com/article/id,144179-pg,1/article.html