Re: [News] Linn Makes Open Source Music Software

Roy Schestowitz wrote:

> Tech Tuesday was a big success and debuted the Linn Sneaky Music DS
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | Gilad Tiefenbrun, Director of Engineering of Linn Products in Scotland (known
> | since the 1970s for their high-end audio equipment), showed their new Sneaky
> | Music DS device for playing high quality music stored on a home LAN -- with
> | Open Source software components you can modify to your heart's content. There
> | was a lot of excitement about it. This was the first time, he said, that it
> | was being shown publicly in the US, and is shipping Monday.
> `----
>
> http://danbricklin.com/log/2008_03_06.htm#tt03linn
>

> Recent:
>
> Audio in Linux is awesome
>
> ,----[ Quote ]
> | I can’t wait for PulseAudio. I’m sure that will make all of this even easier.
> `----
>
> http://darkness.codefu.org/wordpress/2007/12/15/292

GNU/Linux is musician's heaven. For most distributions there is a wide
range of audio creation and edition free and gratis software available.

>From simple tracker editors to massive virtual synthesizers and the jack
backend, which requires a realtime optimized kernel. Using Jack, the
unfortunate that don't have a MIDI master keyboard, a virtual keyboard
is available.

Using Jack the user is able to connect his or her virtual music keyboard
to a virtual synthesizer like Timidity++.

Ubuntu users, who are interested in audio creation and/or edition,
should read this article:

http://www.ubuntugeek.com/howto-turn-ubuntu-710-gutsy-gibbon-into-ubuntu-studio.html#more-359

simply copy the next block:

sudo apt-get install ubuntustudio-desktop ubuntustudio-gdm-theme
ubuntustudio-audio ubuntustudio-audio-plugins
ubuntustudio-default-settings ubuntustudio-icon-theme
ubuntustudiolauncher ubuntustudio-graphics ubuntustudio-look
ubuntustudio-menu ubuntustudio-screensaver ubuntustudio-sounds
ubuntustudio-wallpapers ubuntustudio-video usplash-theme-ubuntustudio
ubuntustudio-theme

Paste it in a terminal window and let apt do all the work for you.

A entry for booting the Realtime kernel will be added to the Grub bootmenu.

Keep on Rockin' ;-)

Cheers

--
|_|0|_| Marti T. van Lin