[News] Latest Push to Eradicate Software Patents Gains Momentum with ESP

Software patents could be killed off for good

,----[ Quote ]
| TWO ADVOCACY ORGANISATIONS, the End Software Patents (ESP) and the Free
| Software Foundation (FSF), have filed an amicus curiae brief with the Court
| of Appeals for the Federal Circuit's (CAFC) rehearing of the In re Bilski
| case, set to be heard on May 8, 2008. This rehearing could have significant
| implications and mean the death of software patents.
`----

http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/inquirer/news/2008/04/09/software-patents-killed

An opportunity to End Software Patents: ESP briefs Court in its historic
rehearing of the Bilski case

http://endsoftpatents.org/2008-04-08-amicus-bilski

In re Bilski -- Red Hat files amicus brief saying software patents are a brake
on innovation

,----[ Quote ]
| I thought you might like to understand what is going on, as best as I can
| explain it.  Here's the ACLU brief [PDF]. Red Hat's announcement indicates
| that it is asking the United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit
| to consider something dear to your hearts, whether or not, or to what degree,
| patents should be allowed on software, and its brief explains to the court
| the damage that software patents are doing to Open Source software.

Yesterday:

Red Hat Asks Federal Court To Limit Patents On Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Red Hat took a public stand challenging the standards for patenting
| software. In the Biliski case that is now before the Federal Circuit Court of
| Appeals, this patent issue is ripe for consideration. In a friend of the
| court brief submitted to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in the Bilski
| case today, Red Hat describes the special problems that patents pose for open
| source and seeks modification of the standards for patentable subject matter
| that take open source into account. Here is a quick summary of our brief.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/04/07/red-hat-asks-federal-court-to-limit-patents-on-software/

Related:

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]

`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html