[News] Yet Another Low-cost GNU/Linux (Fedora) Laptop, This Time for 300 Euro

Spanish low-cost notebook including OpenOffice.org

,----[ Quote ]
| According to this Spanish article, yet another low-cost notebook including a
| Fedora-based Linux distro as well as OpenOffice.org will be sold for about
| 300 Euro.
`----

http://blogs.sun.com/dancer/entry/spanish_low_cost_notebook_including

Article here:

Llegan a España los portátiles de 300 euros

http://www.idg.es/pcworld/Llegan_a_Espa%C3%B1a_los_portatiles_de_300_euros/doc66585.htm

This is the second large wave of Linux laptops (the first one occurred at the
beginning of the year). And OpenOffice.org makes reciprocal relationship here:

The state of open source: Mark Spencer, Digium

,----[ Quote ]
| As adaptation of the open source projects grow broader, more products appear
| addressing a less technical audience, such as Open Office and "The Gimp,"
| Ubuntu, and others have done. In fact, I personally view Open Office as one
| of the most critical open source software packages because it is the key to
| transitioning users and enterprises away from Microsoft Office and thus
| enables users to switch to Linux. Today, we are at the knee of the curve on
| this movement.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;512872231;fp;4194304;fpid;1

Notebooks. With Linux. Pre-installed.

,----[ Quote ]
| Here's a very short list of vendors who sell Linux notebooks. In no
| particular order, here are five:
|
| # RedSeven PCs
| # Emperor Linux
| # Linux Certified
| # R-Cubed Technologies
| # System 76
| # Oh, and here's a sixth, Dell Computers
`----

http://www.marcelgagne.com/node/559

Yesterday:

Dutch UMPC runs Ubuntu Linux

,----[ Quote ]
| Dutch integrator Van Der Led (VDL) Designs has announced a clone of the Asus
| Eee PC ultra-mini PC (UMPC) notebook. The WiFi-enabled "Jisus" UMPC is
| equipped with a Chinese-made 1GHz Loongson CPU, has an 8.9-inch display, and
| runs Ubuntu Linux.

PC Makers Race to Market With Low-Cost 'Netbooks'

,----[ Quote ]
| The University of Chicago undergraduate recently bought an Eee PC, a low-end
| laptop from Taiwan's Asustek Computer Inc. that starts at $299. The device
| has a small screen, a cramped keyboard, no hard drive and was introduced with
| Linux rather than Microsoft Corp.'s Windows operating system -- and Asustek
| can't make enough of them.
`----

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB120761749843296893.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

ZaReason's MegaLap is a desktop replacement with an Ubuntu twist

,----[ Quote ]
| MegaLap, a notebook computer from ZaReason, a company that builds and sells
| computer systems that run Ubuntu, is bound to give its owner bragging rights
| at any LAN party, especially with how loud the system can get. It has the
| hallmarks of on-the-go computing, while performing comparably to a desktop
| gaming system.
`----

http://www.linux.com/feature/130446

Recent:

Feeling the heat at Microsoft

| you who is Microsoft's biggest competitor now, who would it be?

| to go with that.
`----

http://www.news.com/Feeling-the-heat-at-Microsoft/2008-1012_3-6232458.html?tag=ne.fd.mnbc

Microsoft's SEC: