[News] Red Hat Starts Fighting Against Software Patents More Aggressively

Red Hat Asks Federal Court To Limit Patents On Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Today, Red Hat took a public stand challenging the standards for patenting
| software. In the Biliski case that is now before the Federal Circuit Court of
| Appeals, this patent issue is ripe for consideration. In a friend of the
| court brief submitted to the Federal Circuit Court of Appeals in the Bilski
| case today, Red Hat describes the special problems that patents pose for open
| source and seeks modification of the standards for patentable subject matter
| that take open source into account. Here is a quick summary of our brief.
`----

http://www.press.redhat.com/2008/04/07/red-hat-asks-federal-court-to-limit-patents-on-software/

Is This the Start of Red Hat 2.0?

,----[ Quote ]
| Let's hope this statement on the Bilski case is the first sign of a new, more
| assertive Red Hat that takes its rightful place as one of the key voices in
| the open source world - one that can make some much-needed countervailing
| noise to the high-level, and high-quality FUD being emitted by the Microsoft
| PR machine. Heaven knows, it's taken long enough.
`----

http://www.computerworlduk.com/community/blogs/index.cfm?entryid=686&blogid=14

Related:

Q&A: New Red Hat boss targets virtualization, execution as keys to future

,----[ Quote ]
| You have a strong business background, is signing a cross-patent licensing
| deal with Microsoft still bad business for Red Hat?
|
| If we knew what kind of patent issues we had that would be helpful. So it is
| hard to have productive conversation if we don't know what they are.
`----

http://www.linuxworld.com/news/2008/020708-ceo-jim-whitehurst-pilots-red.html?fsrc=rss-linux-news

Microsoft, the art of Corporate Terrorism.

,----[ Quote ]
| Microsoft, no longer the technological leader in the Computer Desktop
| market, is taking on a terrorist role in its attempt remain in power
| at all costs. (see the link to the CNN story below)
|
| The tactic is intended to frighten current, and would be, free
| software users away from products that Microsoft just can't compete
| with. It's not a new tactic, but for the first time desperation is
| beginning to show.
`----

http://sweetcomputing.com/index.php?wiki=Microsoft_Terrorism

Convicted Monopolist Terrorizes Software Industry

,----[ Quote ]
| That headline is designed to grab your attention. Sensationalistic as
| it may be, it also happens to be true, if what you mean by 'terrorize'
| is to provoke fear.
|
| If you've been following the presidential race in the United States,
| you know the present crop of candidates have been exploiting the fear
| of the American people as they never have before in the history of
| the country.
`----

http://www.linux.org/news/opinion/ms_threats.html

Mark Webbink On: The Patent Promise

,----[ Quote ]
| This week, former Red Hat General Counsel, Mark Webbink, discusses how Red
| Hat’s patent promise was developed to combat patent trolling.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2007/11/08/mark-webbink-on-the-patent-promise-2/#more-554

Mark Webbink On: GPLv3

,----[ Quote ]
| This week Mark Webbink, former Red Hat General Counsel discusses the GPLv3
| and talks about the limits of sharing, the mellowing out of Linus Torvalds,
| and issues with the LGPLv3.
`----

http://truthhappens.redhatmagazine.com/2007/10/26/mark-webbink-on-gplv3/#comments

Patent Sanity
By Mark H. Webbink

,----[ Quote ]
| For years, many in the software industry have expressed concern over software
| and business method patents and the patent system.
`----

http://www.linux-mag.com/id/4168

Mark Webbink Joins Board of Software Freedom Law Center

,----[ Quote ]