[News] Oracle Brings Identity Management to UNIX/Linux, IBM on System i and System p

  • Subject: [News] Oracle Brings Identity Management to UNIX/Linux, IBM on System i and System p
  • From: Roy Schestowitz <newsgroups@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2008 04:49:09 +0100
  • Newsgroups: comp.os.linux.advocacy
Oracle announces new Oracle Identity Management Software

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle Authentication Services for Operating Systems is software that
| centralizes user management and authentication across major Linux and Unix
| flavors.
`----

http://www.wwpi.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3953&Itemid=128

COMMON Prepares for the Power Systems Evolution

,----[ Quote ]
| Although that community has been 100 percent devoted to one platform and now
| that platform is being merged into a single set of iron that also runs IBM's
| AIX Unix and Linux, Dufault says, it is not like this is the dawning of a new
| day. He also points out that Frank Soltis, the chief scientist for the System
| i platform and the man considered to be the father of the AS/400, has been
| saying for years that in his opinion that the System i and System p hardware
| would likely merge. "It's not like anyone was blind sided," Dufault says.
`----

http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh040708-story07.html

Related and recent:

Will a Little Openness Solve Your Web Identity Crisis?

,----[ Quote ]
| I'm sure you can see the potential pitfalls of this architecture- what if you
| fall into the clutches of an inept or criminal OpenID service provider? It is
| easy to change to a new provider, and to set up several different OpenIDs,
| but that doesn't solve all the problems caused by a shady or incompetent one.
| You could, in classic FOSS do-it-yourself fashion, take matters into your own
| hands and run your own OpenID server. Sun Microsystems put a novel twist on
| this by running its own server, and issuing OpenIDs only to its own
| employees.
|
| On the other hand, can it be any worse than the current system of
| almost-daily spectacular (and spectacularly lame) security breaches? It seems
| we've all been pwned many times over by now. While we're probably a couple of
| years away from widespread adoption and nice user-friendly management tools,
| OpenID could represent a real breakthrough, so watch this space for future
| developments.
`----

http://www.enterprisenetworkingplanet.com/netsp/article.php/3736276

Related:

Identity makes its mark in the Linux world

,----[ Quote ]
| Oracle announced the strangely named Oracle Authentication Services for
| Operating Systems.
|
| [...]
|
| Novell, which believed it had already hooked the Linux authentication market
| with eDirectory running on Linux, announced a major advance in authentication
| with partner, Fujitsu Microelectronics America. The two companies released a
| suite of new biometric login kits for Novell eDirectory.
`----

http://www.networkworld.com/newsletters/dir/2007/0813id2.html?fromrss=1&fsrc=rss-kearns

Higgins shows roadmap for open source identity project

,----[ Quote ]
| IBM, Novell and a group of academics working on an open source project
| designed to tie together applications and identity systems plan to ship
| the first release of their code next summer.
|
| [...]
|
| In Version 1.0, Higgins will include support for Debian, Red Hat and
| Ubuntu Linux, Macintosh OS X, Windows and Eclipse plug-ins. Supported
| protocols will include the WS-* family of Web services protocols, OpenID
| and LDAP.
`----

http://www.computerworld.com.au/index.php/id;1846619894;fp;2;fpid;1

Industry Leaders Submit Identity Governance Framework to openLiberty.org for
Development of Open Source Implementations

,----[ Quote ]
| Liberty Alliance, the global identity consortium working to build a more
| trusted Internet for consumers, governments and businesses worldwide, today
| announced two key milestones for the Identity Governance Framework (IGF).
`----

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/prnewswire/AQTH07826072007-1.htm

OpenID: One ID for the entire Internet

,----[ Quote ]